Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day Stuff - 2010


I know there is a lot of controversy over the fact that Columbus Day is a holiday here in the US, but I'm not interested in examining the merits of that debate, I just want to enjoy my day off from work.

This was a great weekend here in New England weather-wise, and I fully took advantage of that fact. I had a nice visit with my daughter, we went out to lunch and did a little shopping, and I got to see 2 of my grandcats. Remember my story about 3-legged Rae, the new 3-month old kitty? She has adjusted so well. Here she is along with her big brother Buddy (age 9..we think) - they get along terrific and Buddy is very gentle with her.



I applaud all of you who participated in the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon this weekend. I tried to stop by a few blogs, but was not on the computer much at all yesterday. I did participate last year, but did not feel like I could dedicate an entire day to reading this year. Last year I was not working, so weekends were pretty much just another day. Actually, I did not get much reading done this weekend, but I have been enjoying the audio version of The Poisonwood Bible --why did I wait so long to experience this book? It is really very good, and I am completely hooked.  I also started another terrific book which has not received a lot of press, but it is fabulous. It's called The Blue Nude, by Elizabeth Rosner.

My mailbox was pretty bare last week, except for (3) new pairs of fall/winter shoes, and an awesome Wilson Golf Hope Umbrella for only ($24.99). I bought (2) cheap umbrellas in the last 3 months that failed to do the job with the recent heavy rains. This one is just awesome and the the breast cancer awareness hope ribbon on it as well.

The only book that I received was Fodors, New York City 2011 through the Amazon Vine program. Every December we plan a trip to NYC, so this seemed like a good choice.

Have a great week all !

28 comments:

  1. Rae is gorgeous. Nice to see she has settled in well. Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm with you in enjoying the day off. I feel like I've earned it as often as I've been working weekends lately.

    I am glad you enjoyed your weekend, Diane. I was stuck inside mostly (supposed to take it easy on doctor's orders). I think I'm still supposed to be resting, but I hope to run errands today. And I should probably resume my search for a new dentist. :-S

    I am so glad Rae is doing well. She and Buddy are so adorable!

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitty is probably the cutest cat, she's actually pretty with all the colors and now I want one.

    I can't believe you are reading The Poisonwood Bible for the first time. I reread it this year for book club stil love the book. So glad you are listening/read it.

    Enjoy your day off (it's a work day for me) - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petty....Here is a link to a bit of the history surrounding the controversy...

    http://www.history.com/topics/columbus-controversy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you Diane -- enjoying my day off. BTW did you ever see the Sopranos episode on the Columbus Day controversy --too funny IMO!

    Hope the new umbrella works for you -- would try one myself, but kind of hard to juggle on the bus.

    Enjoy the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow, I never get those holidays from work!!
    Cute kitties. I have not read Poisonwood Bible, but, yes, I also have that at home, waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We state workers do not get the day off, but one of my co-workers thought we did. She mentioned the fact that she was going to enjoy the three day weekend. Sadly I had to burst her bubble.
    Enjoy the extra day. I wish we had the day off. I got a couple of books from our library over the weekend and would have liked to stay home and read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't participate in the read-a-thon this time either, though I would have liked to! I also love the pictures of the kitties, they just look so adorable sitting there like that. Actually, Rae looks a lot like my daughter's cat Astrid. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a Native American friend who kind of changed the way I viewed Columbus Day. Ever since, I've kind of let it quietly fade into the background.

    Beautiful kitties! That Rae is ADORABLE!

    I failed miserably at the read-a-thon, but I really enjoyed the mini-challenges and all! I'm doing the Halloween Read-a-Thon this coming weekend...partially. My birthday is Friday so I'm not sure how much time I will devote to it with all the birthday festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know there was a controversy over this day. I figured any day a human didn't have to work was a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your day off. Nothing but the Post Office closes around me. Rae is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, love the cat photo. Aren't they pretty!

    Enjoy your day off from work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to get around to reading The Poisonwood Bible too.

    I hope you enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The picture of your cats is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been a gorgeous long weekend... glad you had a chance to get out and enjoy it! The kitties are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Rae's face..she is adorable. I agree..just enjoy your day off. Look forward to hearing more about The Blue Nude. Glad to see that you enjoyed Poisonwood Bible, one of my favorite books ever!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What I hate about Columbus Day? That I don't have it off! Enjoy your holiday, Diane~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I work in a university library. The students and professors had today off. WHY DIDN'T I??? You're lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No days off from school or work here today, but we enjoyed this gorgeous weather camping this weekend (so no computer time here either).

    I LOVE The Poisonwood Bible!! One of my top 5 all-time favorite novels. So glad you're enjoying it. I bet the audio is great.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hear you .. why fight a free day off??? : )

    And the kitty photo is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sometimes it's seems like everything is up for debate. It can be ittiyaying! I'm glad you enjoyed your day off!

    I'm so happy to hear that Buddy has taken Rae under his wing & they get along well. They look adorabl;e together!

    The Poisonwood Bible is a wonderful book! Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you had a wonderful long weekend, because I definitely didn't get Monday off. *pout* Rae looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Rae and her big brother! You have two beautiful cats. I hope you had a good rest on Columbus Day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad to see the cats are getting along so well. I wish I'd gotten 3 pairs of shoes in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Look at those furry faces!! They are so cute! I am glad they are getting along. Sometimes an older cat won't put up with a youngin'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)