Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Better Finish These Books in 2010 Challenge

 "Focus, Focus"

 Well it just hit me......(51) days left in 2010 and of course it is the busiest time of year for most of us.  I am seriously going to be ticked at myself, if I don't finish some books that I really, really wanted to read in 2010.  I guess I was saving the best books for last for some reason. When 2011 rolls around, I want things to be a bit different when it comes to my books and my reading....more to come on that later.

So before I can really think about 2011, I need to finish these books (for me).........

  1. Shantaram; Gregory David Roberts - 5/5
  2. Dance, Dance, Dance; Murakami - 4.5/5 (audio)
  3. (one holiday novel)
  4. The Master and Margarita ; Bulgakov
  5. The Woman in White; Wilkins
  6. Brazzaville Beach; Boyd
  7. Affinity; Sarah Waters
  8. Moonflower Vine; Carleton - 4/5
  9. Into the Wilderness; Donati
  10. Half of a Yellow Sun; Adichi
  11. Those Who Save Us; Jenna Blum
  12. A Northern Light; Donnelly
  13. The Forgotten Garden; Kate Morton - 4/5
  14. Lady Oracle; Margaret Atwood
  15. Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; Larsson
I'm hoping, I can slip a few review books in as well, but we'll have to wait and see.  Have any favorites from this list? How About You? Anything you need to focus on before year's end? Feel free to grab the button and create your own year end list - challenge yourself.


  1. Holy cow, I can't believe there are only 51 days left! Where did the year go?!!! End of Nov. and all of Dec. are not big reading times for me since they are so busy because of all the holidays. I couldn't set my sights nearly as high as you, but I wish you luck!!!

  2. 51 days? Yikes!

    Good luck with your challenge. A Northern Light is one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy it, too!

  3. I've read 5 of the books on your list and if you want a book you just can't put down then please read The Woman in White. It's perfect holiday reading and I guarantee it will make your top ten of the year list. It's just brilliant!

  4. Oh man, my realization wasn't so much that I wanted to finish specific books before the end of the year but that I am completely sucking on my challenges! At this point I think all hope is lost but we will see...

  5. I don't know what's the scariest : that girl in the banner, or the fact that there's only 51 days left to the year! Yikes!
    I don't have a list like yours, but I sure hope I can squeeze some more reading before 2011 arrives.

  6. I love A Northern Light and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo....I haven't heard of any of the other ones.
    51 days - that means I need to start back up on the Read From My Shelves challenge. Time is flying by!

  7. Now that's a reading marathon! :-)

  8. I am the only one... but I didn't finish The Forgotten Garden before moving and passed the book on to someone in my book club. I wasn't able to get into this story (I read about 200 pages). Probably due to stress/move.... I hope you like it.

    I also have Blum's new book, bought it last fall (2009) but haven't read it yet. ugh.

    Good luck with your challenge!

  9. Time is flying by.

    Here's hoping you can get your challenge books finished.


  10. Wow! You sound like me! I can't believe there are only 50 days left in the year...eep! I have so much to do between now and then, that even though I only lack 10 books for my challenges, I'm freakin out. LOL.
    Best of luck!!!!!

  11. Good Luck with all this! There are tons I need to finish as well, so I am rushing around trying to make reading time too!

  12. I love that picture! Hey, you've got a lot of reading to do!

  13. I love Dance Dance Dance. If you finish that, you'll also have finished the Japanese Literature Challenge 4 (as there's only one title required). ;)

    You have some long ones, albeit very worthy, in there. I loved The Woman In White, too, but you know it's like 1,000 pages?

  14. Ugh, I don't even want to think about the books I want to get read! I can, however, recommend A Northern Light, Those Who Saved Us and The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo to you!

  15. I absolutely loved A Northern Light! I was looking through my challenges yesterday and noticed that there are a few that I'm not going to finish. Notably my own challenges - and I think that had a lot to do with my reading moods changing as the year went on.

  16. Ahhh!!! 51 measly days? Now that's pretty scary!

    I have "The Forgotten Garden" in my TBR pile right now and have been intending to get to it for a while now. Perhaps I will start it next, hmmmm....

  17. I can't believe that there is only 51 days left of the year. I would join but I am just about getting through the novellas at the moment and hope to spend December reading Christmas books.

  18. Great challenge button! Yep, I pulled out a pile of books a couple of weeks ago and set them on my bedside table and was like 'no more review books until you finish these first!'

  19. That child's face scares me! LOL Good luck on your challenge, I think you can do it :)

  20. Don't worry about the size of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- it's not as daunting as it may seem. Very quick read, I felt, since you get sort of wrapped up in all that crime and intrigue in Sweden.

    There are a number of books on here that I'd like to read, particularly Affinity by Waters. I haven't read any of her work (*red-faced*), so I need to hop to it!

  21. My reading is definitely dwindling down as the end of the year approaches. I cannot believe that there are now 50 days left. So many good books, so little time is my perpetual lament.

  22. Oh definitely I have a list and I need to stick to it. That image is too cute, I will do this as well on my blog!

  23. Thanks for your kind comments about my blog and for following :)

    I recently listened to The Woman in White on my Ipod, and I highly recommend the audio version (I think it was Blackstone or Brillance). I loved the story, and the narration was terrific. I try to have one book on my ipod at all times; this year it helped me to meet my classics challenge.

    Good luck on finishing your challenges :)

  24. Well, judging by that photo if you don't finish those you're in a lot of trouble!!! She looks evil!! LOL!!!

  25. Wow ... you better get cracking!! Once I finish Musashi, I'll be done everything that I really wanted to read this year. Whew. Good luck!

  26. The Forgotten Garden is a quick easy read - save that for when you are stressed about the Holidays.

    Woman in White is a curl up in a soft armchair with bad weather outside book - make sure you have some uninterrupted time for that one.

    Good luck

  27. I love your button. I am joining you if its okay. I have a list of books I want to finish and review before the new year comes. :)

  28. Is that all that's left this year? It's sure flying by! I have one more book to read for my remaining challenge, I believe. I'd better get to it before I forget!

    Good luck with your remaining challenges and reading commitments, Diane!

  29. What a great idea! The William Boyd book is one I'd like to finish by the end of the year, but I have so many that I don't want to think about it.

    Have fun! And good luck!

    Rose City Reader

  30. Good luck! I hope you are able to read all of them.


Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)