Friday, June 1, 2012

Fitness Friday ~ thank you Staci



The lovely Staci of Life in the Thumb has inspired me to take stock of my health, she reviving her Fitness Friday meme.  I've realized for a long while that I needed to get serious about losing weight.  It seems like once I hit my 40's, I just struggled with weight loss.  I have had issues with weight since childhood, but could always lose weight more easily when I was younger.  In the last (15) years I've gained (40) lbs and although I am still healthy, I know it's a matter of time before the extra weight causes issues.  Every year when I go for my physical the doctor says I've gained a few more pounds and that I'm going in the wrong direction.

I'm one of those people who have also used food as a source of comfort. As a child when I was sad, my mother would give me treats, make a cake etc. I also suffer from depression, and when I'm sad, I eat

Although, I won't post my current weight, I'll just say I'd love to lose (50)lbs --even if it takes me a few years to do it. I want to change my eating habits.  For me, it's portion control, too many carbs and not enough exercise, but I have free access to a full service gym, coworkers who walk for 30 minutes each morning, while I make excuses not to.  My husband lost 35lbs over the past year by walking 5 miles a day and eating a lot less. (All while I continued to sit on my butt and eat -- I just wasn't ready and feeling sorry for myself).

So beginning today, I hope to begin to change my ways. I'm hoping that by the time I hit 60 at the end of this year, I'll have some successes to celebrate, and actually look forward to get on the scale at the doctor's office.

There is a great website, free, that even has a FREE APP for your phone for people trying to loss weight -- similar to Weight Watchers, but FREE.  It's called SPARK PEOPLE.

To lose weight, I'll be counting calories, eating healthier foods, watching portion size and moving my butt more.  On Fridays, I'll keep a little tracking diary of progress and share any healthy websites, recipes and other info for those of you struggling with some extra weight.

June 1st - (the journey begins).
June 8 - Hope to lose (3) lbs first week

Anyone care to join Staci and I ?

24 comments:

  1. Good luck to you! Losing the weight slowly is the best way to keep it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Diane! Spark People is a great site. I'm using My Fitness Pal. It's very similar to SP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I need to do something but (you know there is an excuse coming right?) I am not sure I can get motivated given that we are at the beginning of winter now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! I should join you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll join in. Should I link my post at Life in the Thumb?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea to help you stay motivated.

    For 20 years I walked 30 minutes a day to and from work. Now that I'm not working I only walk once or twice a week... and I can feel the difference. And walking does work! I am amazed at the calories it burns up. I have a little clip-on pedometer that calculates miles walked and calories burned. Now I need to step away from the computer, go for a walk or do some yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is terrific and you can do it, I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being healthy is so important so I'm thrilled to see your taking control. It's odd... we know for a while that we need to do something and then one day we decide to. What makes that do different than any of the others? who knows...

    I look forward to cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh -- I might have to do this. As my wife and I get ready to start a family, I realized I want to be healthy so I can cheerfully keep up with a toddler -- so this is a really appealing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My weight problems began in my 20s so I'm familiar with this territory. When I was working, I walked 30 min. a day briskly. Then I got COPD and had to slow down. After I retired, I pretty much stopped walking too, and now I'm headed for serious surgery with my weight higher than would be optimal. I'm behind you all the way; walking really does work. As for carbs, I'm a sucker for them but certainly wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went on a joint diet with Sandy at the beginning of the year, and I lost weight but then fell off the wagon and gained it all back. Sandy kept going. As happy as I am for her success, in a way I felt like even more of a failure! So now I'm somewhat afraid to do a joint effort!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there! Yes I am IN!!! my computer is down tonight otherwise I'd jump in today. But count me in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, mine really got worse in my 40s. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been. I try to work more activity into my day but sometimes I let it go and then I wake up next morning 10 pounds heavier! sigh. Also, of course, I can't say no to chocolate or cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post! I am also a comfort eater and it is so incredibly easy to turn to food anytime I have a bad day! A good friend and I have made a commitment that we will exercise 4 times a week and we check in weekly (the reward for this month is a pedicure!!!). I've been watching what I eat too, but it isn't easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm working on losing 30 pounds or so (and have been for the last 7 years) and it can be a struggle. Portion control is one part of it. Increasing exercise is another. Plus I need to cut my addiction to sugar. I'm trying to work on all three but it does require a lifestyle change and that can be hard. Best of luck with your journey - you can do it. It helps that you have your husband as an example and a support!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can do it, Diane! I'm tempted to join you and Staci...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck to you. I know I would do better if I moved more but putting action to thought is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Diane!! I wish I lived next to you because we could both help the other not to feel so bad and to get motivated to walk!! I have suffered from depression for quite some time but I have only been on meds for it once. Not sure what is stopping me from getting back on them as they made me feel so much better. I posted my weight to keep me honest. I like to lie about it when I can!! LOL! I think that app sounds great and I just may follow suit with how you will be updating on your blog too!!!

    We will be each others source of support and biggest cheerleaders!!!
    Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Staci's post as well! It made me want to get a move on losing the 15 pounds that I have been holding on to for WAY too long! I'm going to be joining in as well hopefully but maybe not every week. Good luck with this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can do it! Having a walking friend makes it so much more fun, too. One day at a time...it's all worth it to have great health in those "golden?" years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go, hubby! It's great that you have support and inspiration in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to go Diane. I just commented over at Staci's blog and told her what I will tell you and that is that I need to lose 30 pounds myself and my milestone 50th birthday is coming up next summer. I am determined to not be FAT and FIFTY. I'll be cheering you both on and may consider adding this to my posting as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)