Friday, May 3, 2013

Massachusetts Book Awards - 2013


13th Annual Massachusetts Book Awards for 2013

The Massachusetts Book Awards, a program of the Massachusetts Center for the Book (MCB) in partnership with the Massachusetts Library Association, announced in March, the Must-Read Books of 2013.  All were written by Massachusetts authors and/or on Massachusetts subjects and published in 2012.

The collection consists of 24 books (six in each of four categories, fiction, nonfiction, poetry & children’s/young adult literature). 

Fiction:

  • The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro (Algonquin
  •  Cascade by Maryanne O’Hara (Viking) 
  • Defending Jacob by William Landay (Delacorte)
  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (Ecco) 
  • The Technologists by Matthew Pearl (Random House) 
  • Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone (Tor)
Nonfiction:


  • Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom by Stephen R. Platt (Knopf) 
  • Brothers by George Howe Colt (Scribner) 
  • The Choke Artist by David Yoo (Grand Central) 
  • Clover Adams, A Gilded and Heartbreaking Life by Natalie Dykstra (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) 
  • In Pursuit of Giants by Matt Rigney (Viking) 
  • To Free a Family by Sydney Nathans (Harvard UP)


Poetry:


  • The Bees Are Waiting by Karina Borowicz (Marick) 
  • Darkening the Grass by Michael Miller (CavanKerry) 
  • Life in the Second Circle by Michael Cantor (Able Muse) 
  • Place by Jorie Graham (Ecco) 
  • Shortly Thereafter by Colin Halloran (Main St Rag) 
  • What Is Amazing by Heather Christle (Wesleyan)


Children's/Young Adult Literature:


  • Ocean Sunlight by Molly Bang and Penny Chisholm (The Blue Sky Press) 
  • October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard by LeslĂ©a Newman (Candlewick Press) 
  • Red Thread Sisters by Carol Antoinette Peacock (Viking) 
  • Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker (Balzer + Bray) 
  • There Goes Ted Williams: the Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived by Matt Tavares (Candlewick Press) 
  • We’ve Got a Job: the 1963 Birmingham Children’s March by Cynthia Levinson (Peachtree Publishers) 
 I've highlighted the (3) I've read. Does your state have a similar awards program?

7 comments:

  1. This looks like a great list of books...and inspiring. I especially like the fiction list. Many of those books are ones I want to read but haven't yet. Something to look forward to I s'pose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MA is prolific! Defending Jacob is on my to read list. Thanks for the info. I have not heard of this award before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to read and review these Massachusetts Must-Reads too! I listened to Defending Jacob on audio and it was a good one. Read The Art Forger and have Cascade and Three Parts Dead at home on the top (or close to the top) of the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cool program and I don't think I've seen anything like that around these parts. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. I've listened to Defending Jacob and have The Art Forger on audio too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have started the Art Forger on audio but have not read any of the others yet. I don't think NY has a similar program.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)