Monday, July 13, 2009

106 - The Magicians; Lev Grossman



In Lev Grossman's The Magicians, Quentin Coldwater is a high school senior, a genius with his whole future ahead of him. Quentin is also a bit of a nerd. He enjoys fantasy novels, especially the Christopher Plover series which is set in the magical place called Fillroy. By escaping into fantasy, Quentin finds that it helps to ease his real world disappointments: boredom and Julia not loving him.
On his way to an interview for admittance to Princeton, Quention finds the interviewer dead, and himself with an envelope bearing his name. Inside the envelope is a manuscript titled: The Magicians; Book Six; Fillroy and Further, but there are only five books in the series. He is also led to a mysterious place, and soon finds that he has been admitted to Brakebills College for Magic Pedagogy in upstate New York. At Brakebills he finds he excels and he quickly advances through the ranks. At Barkebills he also experiences the extracurricular activities that most college students do: alcohol, drugs, sex and love. He even becomes a "certified sorcerer genius".
After graduation, in Manhattan, Quentin finds that magic has not brought him the happiness he thought it would. Not even a "magically augmented investing plan that yields a regular allowance for all newly minted magicians who need it". But soon, Quentin and his friends learn that Fillroy is real, but not the magical place he read about. Instead, it turns out to be a dangerous place where power seems to come at a terrible price.
The Magicians was a great story, and the writing style was fabulous. I am not someone who gravitates to the fantasy genre, so since I enjoyed this story as much as I did, I believe fantasy fans should really love this book. It felt like an adult version of Narnia. Don't Miss It!
RATING - 5/5 ; Completed - 7/13/09; Review Copy

13 comments:

  1. That does sound like a great story! I'm putting it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of fantasy either, but your review has really interested me. I think I'll keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds amazing! I am not much reader of fantasy, but after reading this review I am totally sold on this book. I think my husband would love it as well, so that's a bonus. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty interesting. I haven't been much into fantasy lately, but if I get back into it, this is definitely one I'll keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was afraid to read your review because I have this to read now. But I'm so glad to see the 5/5 rating. I'll be back in a week or so to actually read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the picture you have up at the top of your blog.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your review has made me curious, and your 5/5 rating has me thinking I should read this one.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not going to miss it because I'm going right over to my library site and requesting this book!! Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything with a bit of magic in and I will read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds excellent! I was already totally into it even before you said "adult version of Narnia" - but that clinched it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am putting this on my TBR list -- it sounds like a great read. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's high praise, especially considering you aren't a big fan of fantasy. I'll have to add this one to my wish list. Thanks for the great review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you enjoyed this so much; as you read in my review, it just didn't work for me. I'd love to hear the author talk about THE MAGICIANS, they may help me to connect to it more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.