Thursday, December 18, 2014

Coming Soon to A Book Store Near You - A Spool of Blue Thread; Ann Tyler


Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for today.  What do you think?


Knopf - February 2015
(Overview)

“It was a beautiful, breezy, yellow-and-green afternoon. . .” This is how Abby Whitshank always begins the story of how she fell in love with Red that day in July 1959. The Whitshanks are one of those families that radiate togetherness: an indefinable, enviable kind of specialness. But they are also like all families, in that the stories they tell themselves reveal only part of the picture. Abby and Red and their four grown children have accumulated not only tender moments, laughter, and celebrations, but also jealousies, disappointments, and carefully guarded secrets. From Red’s father and mother, newly arrived in Baltimore in the 1920s, to Abby and Red’s grandchildren carrying the family legacy boisterously into the twenty-first century, here are four generations of Whitshanks, their lives unfolding in and around the sprawling, lovingly worn Baltimore house that has always been their anchor.

Brimming with all the insight, humor, and generosity of spirit that are the hallmarks of Anne Tyler’s work, A Spool of Blue Thread tells a poignant yet unsentimental story in praise of family in all its emotional complexity. It is a novel to cherish.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And your new header is wonderful, Diane!

      Delete
    2. I love the sound of it as well, and thanks for the compliment on the holiday header.

      Delete
  2. I love Anne Tyler (and your header too)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already have this one on my list, love Anne Tyler's books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to this one too. I am a long-time fan of Anne Tyler. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have pre-ordered this one! I love Anne Tyler's books, and this one looks especially good to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so on the ball when it comes to preparing for good books...LOL

      Delete
  6. It sounds good to me. Thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added it to my "Wish List!" Thank you, Diane, for the recommendation.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read her before. Sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good - I didn't know Anne Tyler had a knew book coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got the ARC of this book, and it is next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to know she has a new one coming out. I tried to read Noah's Compass, but couldn't get interested. She's been hit & miss for me over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.