Tuesday, February 21, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday intros - Agnes; Peter Stamm


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon. This pick is just 147 pages, but it's a translated work (German to English) so I'm just not sure how this will flow.)


Other Press - 2016

1

"Agnes is dead.  Killed by a story.  All that's left of her now is this story.  It begins on that day, nine months ago, when we first met in the Chicago Public Library.  It was cold when we first met.  It is generally cold in this city.  But it's colder now, and it's snowing. The snow is blowing across Lake Michigan, on the gale-force wind I can hear even through the soundproof glass in my picture windows.  It's snowing, but the snow won't settle, it gets picked up and whirled on its way, and only settles where the wind can't get at it.  I've switched off the light, and look out at the illuminated tips of the skyscrapers, at the American flag that gets tugged this way and that by the wind, in the beam of a searchlight, and at the empty streets far below, where, even now, in the middle of the night, the lights change from green to red and red to green, as though nothing had happened, or was happening."

Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?


Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.


24 comments:

  1. Now I am very curious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd keep reading. I want to know more about Agnes. I like the feel of this first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued at the way this one opens with Agnes being dead but then concentrates o the weather, it makes me more curious to learn her story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's odd --she's dead and now we'll talk about the weather LOL

      Delete
  4. This intro really intrigues me - I'd continue reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a great opening! I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the descriptive opening and can picture the scene. I also really like the cover. It would make me pick it up. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is kind of eerie looking too many but seems appropriate.

      Delete
  7. I like the writing. The description of things like the weather and of colors is very good. The "killed by a story" thing is also interesting. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the intro appealed to you Bria Joseph. I hope I'm going to like this one.

      Delete
  8. First of all, that cover is disturbing somehow. And how was Agnes killed by a story? I was cold reading the paragraph - it's bleak. Not sure this one would be for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested because of the Chicago setting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the library mention at the start and am curious enough to continue reading. Hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! He got me. Going to look up the book right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That opening makes me feel cold. I would keep reading. I want to know more about what's happened to Agnes. Thank you for sharing (and hosting!), Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I liked it too and would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an intriguing opening. I want to know just who Agnes is and what happened. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am curious, too. What happened to Agnes, who was "killed by a story"? This is a mysterious opening (and the cover). I'd read more, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would definitely read on, especially because I'm apt to be curious about contemporary German novels. My library system does not have this novel by Stamm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.