Tuesday, October 17, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me: A Memoir; Sherman Alexie


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon.   Has anyone read this book yet? I read that there is a part about a cat that is disturbing, so as a cat - lover, I am on the fence, and, of course, I will have to skip that section.


Little Brown - 2017


1.

Forty Knives

"IN 1972 OR 1973, or maybe 1974, my mother and father hosted a dangerous New Year's Eve party at our home in Wellpinit, Washington, on the Spokane Indian Reservation.

We lived in a two-story house--the first floor was a doorless daylight basement while the elevated second floor had front and back doors accessible by fourteen-step staircases.  The house was constructed by our tribe using grant money from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, more tersely known as HUD. Our family HUD house was new but only half finished when we moved in and remains unfinished, and illogically designed, over forty years later.  It was worth $25,000 when it was built, and I think it's probably worth about the same now.  I don't speak my tribal language, but I'm positive there are no Spokane Indian words for real estate appreciation.

Does this intro make you curious for more?

Please feel free to join in each Tuesday with your own "First Chapter, First Paragraph Intro" by linking your post from the book you are reading below. 




17 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one, and the 70s will always intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humm, I'm curious enough to read a little more, before I decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested but I'd need to read a little more to know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this but I do want to. I heard an interview with the author and it got me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting.....hope it isn't disturbing 😕

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the 70's so I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... It sounds interesting but the cat thing makes it a no-go for me. I don't like reading things like that in fiction and I find it especially troubling in nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious so would read a little bit further on to be sure

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I'm interested! I enjoyed The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read this book, but do love the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this his memoir? I would love to read it! I had to read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian in college and I was so torn for the MC torn between both worlds. So keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm... I'm not sure , due to the cat part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read many of his other books and want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.