Tuesday, November 14, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Midwinter Break; Bernard MacLaverty


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon.  (There seem very few novels these days with seniors as main characters so I decided to give this one a try).




Midwinter Break; Bernard MacLaverty
W.W. Norton - 2017

In the bathroom Stella was getting ready for bed.  Gerry Had left the shaving mirror at the magnifying face and she was examining her eyebrows.  She licked the tip of her index finger and smoothed both of them.  Then turned to her eyelids.  She was sick of it all -- the circles of cotton wool, the boiled and sterilized water in the saucer, the ointments, the waste bin full of cotton buds."

Does this intro make you curious for more?

Please feel free to join in each Tuesday with your own "First Chapter, First Paragraph Intro" by linking your post from the book you are reading below. 




29 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious about where this story is leading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do want to read on. I like the questions she seems to be raising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  3. That one certainly has me wondering what direction this story will take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  4. I wonder what else she is sick of? I'd read on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know what she is sick of so I would have to keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  6. Wonder where the story goes from here! I'd read on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to read a bit more to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd keep reading for a bit longer before making up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a copy of this book in August while I was visiting a Dublin book shop. Hadn't seen or heard of it here in the U.S., so it intrigued me. I'd keep reading. (Hope I'll be reading it soon, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  10. I wasn't so sure with the first couple sentences, but I'm curious after that last one! I'd definitely keep reading to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does have me curious for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  12. Yes, it does make me curious for more.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't care for that one, but at least I'm ready for bed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read more of this one! Thanks for sharing.

    Diane, I will be away from blogging for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope u had a nice getaway! Just posted a mini review, it was a nice story - not exciting but a good read!

      Delete
  15. Interesting. What is all this sterilized water and basket full of cotton balls about? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am definitely interested. What's with all the cotton balls and procedures?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did we talk about Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment? Wonderful people over 60. No one dies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.