Tuesday, February 13, 2018

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Saints for All occasions; J. Courtney Sullivan


Every Tuesday Vicki @ I'd Rather Be at the Beach now hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where readers share the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that they are reading or plan to read soon.

Saints for All Occasions; J. Courtney Sullivan
Knopf - 2017

PART ONE
2009

1

"IN THE CAR on the way to the hospital, Nora remembered how, when Patrick was small, she would wake up suddenly, gripped by some terrible fear--that he had stopped breathing, or spiked a deadly fever.  That he had been taken from her.

She had to see him to be sure.  They lived then on the top floor of the three--decker on Crescent Avenue.  She would practically sleepwalk through the kitchen and past Bridget's door, and then down the hall to the boys' room, her nightgown skimming the cold hardwood, the muffled sound of Mr. Sheehan's radio murmuring up from downstairs."

Based on the into above, would you read more or pass?

(I just started this one and so far it's a great story.)

28 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by this author, but I'm intrigued by this intro. I'd keep reading. Glad you're enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good opening and one that I'm sure many parents will recognise - yes I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cover and also like the bit you shared. I'm trying to remember if I've read anything by the author. Know I've meant to - can't remember if I actually have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be too anxious to read it through. I'll be anticipating trouble of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read this author either. But I am a sucker for a great story and this sounds like it has possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great opener. I'm wondering if the child is safe now. And I love the cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely read this book...but I love this author!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! I felt that way sometimes about my kids when they were little.

    BTW: You forgot to link to Mr. Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki - I was in a hurry when I posted so I'll do it now.

      Delete
  9. It has been a while since I read this author, but I've been eyeing this one. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think many mothers can relate to that opening paragraph. I love books where the author taps in to something I've felt. This sounds like a good story.
    My Tuesday post features a family saga: Miller’s Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This opening draws me in. I'd read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easy to relate to these feelings. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's pretty interesting, I'd read more too! Happy Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the passage is a bit intriguing and I'd continue on. I have read the book and it's worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gripping fear! I'm sure any new mother could relate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.