Tuesday, August 3, 2021

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Everyone in this Room Will Someday Be Dead; Emily Austin

Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews
Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book we are reading or plan to read.  

                                   Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead; Emily Austin

                                                                        Atria - July 2021

Part One

Advent

"There must have been an explosion. I hear ringing interspersed with a woman's muffled screams. Everything is black. I blink repeatedly.

Black. Black. Black

I blink once more and see sunlight. The towering silhouette of a streetlight forms in front of me.  The light is green, but I am not moving. I glance behind me. A beige van is expelling smoke from its bent hood. There is shattered glass across the concrete road--"

The catchy title and the reference to "the perfect blend of macabre and funny" made me want to try this one.  What do you think - read more or pass? 

21 comments:

  1. That title really draws me in, and I am now intrigued. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the intro is good and so is the title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning makes me curious as to what is to follow so I vote yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what to expect with it describe as both macabre and funny but it sounds like a combination I like.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hope to start it in a few days after I finish a few others.

      Delete
  5. I'd read more to see what's going on and then decide whether to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can't tell too much from what I shared but, I hope to begin it in a few days after I finish 2 other ones.

      Delete
  6. I've been thinking of giving this book a try. Hope it exceeds your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, it definitely seems to be one I would like but, I've thought that before and have been disappointed.

      Delete
  7. I think I would give this a try. The title is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Yvonne, it was the title that made me want to know more.

      Delete
  8. Like others, I think I'm more intrigued by the book's clever title than I am by the opening paragraphs. I know I'd read on just to see if the novel is as clever as its title...have it on hold at my library right now, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see Sam, it was the title that hooked me but, I will start it after I finish a couple of others.

      Delete
  9. Okay this one definitely caught my attention and got me curious. Macabre and hilarious are not adjectives I see together very often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure about the beginning but I did get this one from Netgalley too because I the title totally piqued my interest. I hope it turns out good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.