Friday, November 26, 2021

Book Review - WIsh You Were Here; Jodi Picoult

 

Wish You Were Here; Jodi Picoult
Ballantine Books and Penguin Random House Audio - 11/30/2021

Wish You Were Here is a story that begins just before COVID has shut down the world.  Diane and Finn are a young couple living in NYC. Diana hasn't had the best childhood but, her life feels near perfect now. At 29 she works for Sothebys and Finn is a surgical resident at a New York hospital.  The two have planned a romantic getaway to the Galapagos islands and, Diana is pretty sure the Finn is planning on asking her to marry him.  Right before the couple is planning to leave, Finn gets word that all hands on deck are needed at the hospital and no one can take time off.  He encourages Diana to take the trip alone since the trip is already paid for and non refundable.  She decides to go alone (Big Mistake) and it isn't long before things go from bag to worse.  I can't say too much more about this novel without spoiling it for perspective readers but, this just may be my favorite Picoult novel yet and, I've read all of her books except for her previous one. 

I went into this one without reading reviews -- do yourself a favor and just go into this one blind - you will be glad you did.  The story is told from Diana's POV with later input from Finn. The story is well-written, a perfect story set in COVID times that did not feel too depressing.  It's a story about relationships, reassessing priorities and figuring out what is really important in life. I loved this book.  The audio version was read by Marin Ireland who, as always, did a fabulous job.

Rating - 5/5 stars

25 comments:

  1. I saw the First Chapter, First Paragraph you posted a week or so ago and got the book. I agree--it was definitely a 5/5 stars for me and the best Covid book I can imagine. And yes, it was full of surprises. Wish You Were Here is the first Jodi Picoult I've read in years, and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read one Picoult book and that was a few years ago. This one might be my second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Book of Two Ways earlier this year and it was a mess. So I'm very happy to hear that this was a five star read for you and Jenclair who commented! I'm definitely going to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book of Two Ways was the one book I skipped by her; the story just did not interest me. Please try this one - so good.

      Delete
  4. Adding it to the TBR list! I haven't read a Picoult novel in years and this one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you sold me on this, going to look for a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been much of a fan of this author, but you thoroughly hooked me on this new one of hers. I'm glad to see that "COVID fiction" is starting to show up. I'm curious to see how it is all handled now that we've been living through it for two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be very interested in your thoughts here Sam. I thought it was well done and more than just about COVID.

      Delete
  7. I love the sound of this! I've never read Picoult but I may have to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read a couple of JP's books and enjoyed them. Keep thinking I should read more and I love the sound of this so this could be the one. I'll keep an eye out at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can try this one Cath. I think you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. I'm happy to see how much you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her novels and bought this on a whim the other day at Costco. Might give it as a gift and then borrow it back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that works but, make sure you add it to your list, I think you will love it.

      Delete
  11. I'm curious to read pandemic novels and this one sounds thought-provoking. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jodi Picoult book was so good and the pandemic covered in an unexpected but successful way.

      Delete
  12. I've read one or two of her books and find them emotional and thought-provoking. You've definitely piqued my curiosity with this latest release so I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.