Tuesday, December 7, 2021

A Christmas Party; Georgette Heyer - First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros

Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book ReviewsEach week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book we are reading or plan to read soon.  It's time for me to begin some holiday reads.  I purchased this eBook last week - hope it's good.

Brief Description'Tis the Season―for murder...

A colorful assortment of guests at a festive holiday house party discover there is a killer in their midst when their universally reviled host is found dead―in a room locked from the inside.

For Inspector Hemingway of Scotland Yard, the investigation is complicated by the fact that every guest is hiding something―throwing all their testimony into question and casting suspicion far and wide. The clever and daring crime will mystify readers, yet the answer is in plain sight all along...

A Christmas Party; Georgette Heyer
Sourcebooks - 2016

One

It was a source of great satisfaction to Joseph Herriard that the holly trees were in full berry.  He seemed to find in this circumstance an assurance that the projected reunion of the family would be a success.  For days past he had been bringing prickly sprigs into the house, his rosy countenance beaming with pleasure, and his white locks (worn rather long, and grandly waving)  ruffled by the December winds.  "Just look at the berries!" he would say, thrusting his sprig sunder Nathaniel's nose, laying them on Maud's card table.


I must admit that intro doesn't thrill me but, I know the author is quite popular so I thought I'd give it a try.

16 comments:

  1. I will give anything by Georgette Heyer a try. I've read this one and liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am curious! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog. I love that book cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover and based on Mystica's comment I'm excited to begin.

      Delete
  3. Nice choice and I hope you enjoy it. Georgette Heyer is on my list of must-get-to authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read anything but Heyer but I know she is quite a popular writer and there must be a reason, so, yeah, I think I'd give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this one ends up being a fun read. I've read a few books by Heyer and enjoyed them. And I do like a good locked room mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been years since I read a book by Heyer. This one looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heyer's Regency books are second to none (well... maybe not Jane Austen... LOL) in my opinion, wonderful books. I've only read one of her crime novels, I think it might've been called Footsteps in the Dark, and I enjoyed it a lot and plan to read more at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to try something by this author. I'll be interested to see how you like this one. I'm not one to read a lot of Christmas-type novels/mysteries, but this sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, that's a bit of a descriptive adjective overload.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it is Georgette Heyer and one of her Regency books, so yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does come across as aa bit dated, doesn't it? I've never read Heyer, but I know she's well thought of, so you probably can't go too wrong with her novels. I'm not much of those "locked door" kind of mysteries, though, so this probably wouldn't be the Heyer novel for me to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That opening doesn't really grab me, but Heyer is so popular. I've wanted to try one of her books for years. Will be curious to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I remember right Heyer can take some getting used too. I read a couple of her romances years and years ago but none of her mysteries. I'll be interested to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.