Tuesday, October 14, 2008

164 - The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment that Transformed Their Lives; Jarvis

The Necklace is an inspiring story about a $37,000 diamond necklace that became greater than the sum of its links. It is a story about thirteen ordinary women who understood the power of possibility, who touched the lives of a community, and who together created one extraordinary experience.

Why would a group of baby boomer generation women split the purchase price of an ostentatious diamond necklace? Why would these same women name the necklace, and set up a system for sharing it. What was their goal? For each woman, it was something different, but for each of them "the necklace" transformed a symbol of privilege into an experiment in humanity.

I really enjoyed this true story. I found myself reflecting on what Patti, the shopper, in this book had said: ------"When I was younger, if the object I wanted was a 'good deal', I'd buy two. The book got me thinking for the first time about the excess in my life. What I've concluded is there's nothing I need anymore. I have too much already. I don't wear what I have. Somethings I shouldn't have bought in the first place".

RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 10/14/08

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)