Tuesday, October 14, 2008

164 - The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment that Transformed Their Lives; Jarvis

The Necklace is an inspiring story about a $37,000 diamond necklace that became greater than the sum of its links. It is a story about thirteen ordinary women who understood the power of possibility, who touched the lives of a community, and who together created one extraordinary experience.

Why would a group of baby boomer generation women split the purchase price of an ostentatious diamond necklace? Why would these same women name the necklace, and set up a system for sharing it. What was their goal? For each woman, it was something different, but for each of them "the necklace" transformed a symbol of privilege into an experiment in humanity.

I really enjoyed this true story. I found myself reflecting on what Patti, the shopper, in this book had said: ------"When I was younger, if the object I wanted was a 'good deal', I'd buy two. The book got me thinking for the first time about the excess in my life. What I've concluded is there's nothing I need anymore. I have too much already. I don't wear what I have. Somethings I shouldn't have bought in the first place".

RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 10/14/08

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.