Sunday, February 17, 2013

#shineon Stephen King mid month check-in










I first read The Shining back in the 1980's when it was first released, and loved it. Since then I've seen the movie at least (5) times -- my favorite time to watch it is on a snowy night day.  This time around for the #shineon, I am listening to the audio version which I am enjoying  -- on Chapter 32. This time around I'm not finding the book scary at all, but the movie, no matter how many times I've seen it still creeps me out in parts.. Jack Nicholson makes the movie, and that Wendy was creepy in her own way in the movie.

The book somewhat different from the movie, and I do like both versions, but the book is better, IMO, the two are different and the book is much more detailed. Based on what I've read/listened to so far (up to chapter 32). Here are some of the differences that I noticed so far (I'm sure there are more, but it's been over a year since I last saw the movie).

 POSSIBLE SPOILERS

 I feel that the book gives the reader more insight into a lot of elements of the story.  From animal shaped hedges in the book vs a maze of hedges in the movie and what happens around the grounds are different. The incident of the bees in the book is missing from the movie, and the role little Danny's imaginary friend "Tony" played is much more evident and clear in the book -- In the book he's mentioned frequently and plays a more significant role that made way more sense to me.  Also, the details about Danny's "shining" / visions are much more vivid in the book.

In the movie the use of mirrors happened a lot and "redrum" was easy to decipher immediately in the movie, where as, while listening the to the word "redrum" on audio book, had I not seen the movie or heard about it previously, would have left me curious until it was explained. Also,  I didn't remember the reference to the Mafia hits at the Overlook in the movie which were mentioned in the book.

Until my 2/28/2013 wrap-up post ....  #shineon  peeps!

17 comments:

  1. I read the book back in the 80's, too and haven't seen the movie in years. I do recall, though, not liking the movie as much for the same reasons as you cite. I remember that book terrifying me - I think because I've always been far more afraid of what could happen to my mind than vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished reading yesterday, and thought the book was pretty scary when I was reading by myself alone in the house at night on Friday. Partly also was dreading an event that I remembered (or think I remember) from the movie way back when that didn't happen in the book. I agree with Lisa's comment that going crazy and not knowing for sure if you are or aren't can be scarier than finding out that vampires are real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to a lot more today and hop to be finished with it by Wednesday - glad I listened this time.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this since 1979 or so, when I lived at home and kept our dog on my bed after turning out the light. Stephen King is not for the faint of heart! I can do with his novels on people (or dogs) going nuts, but I never have finished one where there is an element of evil. He's too familiar on that subject for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for the "faint of heart" is so true, but I was pleasantly surprised by 11/22/63 - loved that one and not scary.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any Stephen King in I don't know how long. Must catch up! Thanks Diane and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't read that one, we've only seen the movie. Maybe that should change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I never read this book and I've read a lot of King's novels. I started the audio yesterday and I'm only on Chapter 12 today so I'll skip your spoilers. I'm enjoying it so far. Not too terribly scary yet, but I've been listening during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry,I'm not a Stephen King reader. Too scary! Glad you enjoy him though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I would have experienced the book without having seen the movie first. Knowing what was going to happen, even if the events were changed just a bt, made the story somewhat anticlimatic for me. I do agree that I think the book is much better than the movie, and that is saying something because it is an excellent movie. I really loved Jack's struggles - and they were struggles - rather than an all-out descent into madness. Those topiaries have definitely ruined hedge animals for me for life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, I LOVE the new blue look and header! Fantastic!

    I haven't weighed in my thoughts yet, but I will say that I'm already liking the book much better than the film. I've never been big on the movie. I'm a big horror movie buff and it just never did it for me (well, except for the creepy music).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wrap-up posts tomorrow. I didn't enjoy the book as much as the movie. There were elements that I didn't mind too much but there was a lot that annoyed me too. I really did not like the hedge depiction in the book, nor the wasps or the lack of isolation that was so well portrayed in the movie.

    However, as far as Mr. Hallorann, I liked the book better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen the movie many times - it's hard to pass up with Jack Nicholson doing such a great job and the great setting. I'm like you in that everytime I watch I get scared!
    I've never read the book, surprisingly but I sure want to now after reading your post. I'm curious about the additional details, particularly those associated with Danny which sound great!
    I really wish I'd clued in about this readalong when it began. I'll probably wait for the next readalong to read this book.

    I enjoyed this post, Diane and am looking forward to your wrap-up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so hard not to compare books with movies that you've already seen. I do love the scary animal topiaries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I haven't seen the movie, I believe you about Jack making the movie. That man scares me even when he isn't in a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely love this book and feel like it is much better than the movie but Jack Nicholson is so brilliant in the film that I think it is a must see also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.