Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Looking for Me; Beth Hoffman


Title: Looking for Me
Author: Beth Hoffman
Publication Year:  2013
Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Edition: ARC
Source: sent by author
Setting: KY and SC
Date Completed: May - 2013
Rating: 5/5
 


From the age of 10, back in 1964, Teddi Overman had an eye for beautiful furniture. One day she found an old chair in a ditch along the side of the road, and carried it down the road to her family farm.  After she finished restoring the chair, she found a small table to refinish and sold the piece for $100.00. This sale led to her being invited to meet with a Mr. Palmer, an antique's dealer in South Carolina.

Teddi dreamed that one day she'd have her own antique's business. Her controlling mother had other plans for Teddi. She wanted her to go to secretarial school after graduation. Her father, on the other hand, was quiet about his feelings on the subject, but deep down supported his daughter.

Without giving too many specifics about this story away, I'll just say that it isn't all about Teddi, it's about family as well. It's about losing people we love, and accepting our losses. Teddi's younger brother Josh (who Teddi got to name when he was born), is a haunting character in this novel. Teddi describes her brother as: "quiet and introspective, gentle, a loner, thoughtful". He was also was a lover of nature and animals and loved spending time in the woods.  An extremely, sad incident involving Josh at the age of 17 causes him to leave home one day while Teddi is living in South Carolina.

This is a story that full of Southern charm. I loved the characters that the author has created. They are not perfect people, but so real and memorable. The storyline goes back and forth in time, a device which seemed to work well in this novel. Although the story, for the most part, is quiet and contemplative one, it is never boring, nor does is disappoint. Acceptance is a theme that came across loud and clear to me -- there are some things that happen in life, choices we make that just can't be explained or undone.  The novel is not entirely sad, some of the quirky characters will make readers smile. The title "Looking for Me", was a perfect choice as readers will come to realize for themselves once they finish this touching story. A perfect summer choice. Be sure to read it!

18 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for this one coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read this as well! Glad to hear it's not entirely sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am eagerly anticipating my copy of this book, soon to arrive! Thanks for your review, as you have heightened my interest in having it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Diane! I have an Amazon gift card I've been saving for all the spring/summer releases I want to read and this is on my list to get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your lovely review and kind words, Diane! I'm delighted that you enjoyed Teddi's adventures and grateful that the story earned a 5-star review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely story--I am putting this one on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, I'm reading it right now - I should say slowly reading it. I don't want it to end! Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you loved it. I'm just starting this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the time travel thing works, I often get lost...or distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your review. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is on my must read list for this summer! I am glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's sounds like a must-read! I have no idea why I haven't read Beth Hoffman yet (though I own one of her books), but this one is definitely going on my reading list. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. (I just realised, my brain was elsewhere : I did listen to the audiobook of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and it was an amazing read! So definitely another incentive to read this book!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like Hoffman hasn't lost a beat on this one. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm halfway through this one and love it big time!! Your review is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wasn't this just such a beautiful story. I loved it as well and even though I finished it a bit ago I'm still thinking of the story. Great review Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen nothing but glowing reviews of this book, which makes me especially happy because I will be starting it soon. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is a talented author isn't she? She deserves all the praise she receives :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.