Saturday, November 2, 2013

Welcome to November and the I Lost Sleep Edition

Hi Readers - are some of you feeling sleep deprived this week like me?

Yes, we push back the clocks tonight, so we actually GAIN an hour of sleep, but for the last 2 weeks, we've been staying up very late for the World Series playoff games, so I am actually "sleep deprived." The sleep loss paid off with Boston winning the World series for the 3rd time since 2004 (2004, 2007 and 2013). The special thing for us Boston fans was it was the first Series win that happened in Boston since 1918.  I feel so lucky to have witness (3) series wins, where as my dad who was an avid Boston fan NEVER witnessed a win before he passed away in 1988.

BOSTON STRONG

I have to say that October was a month that seemed to fly by in a week's time. I loved the warm weather we enjoyed for most of October and for the first time that I can ever remember, we really did not need to turn our heat on until maybe one morning last week. It's getting colder starting today though. 
 Reading Update for October
 
 
R.I.P. VIII - September 1st - October 31st 2013
 (COMPLETED) 
 

1.Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives; Sarah Weinman - 4.5/5  

2.Poppet; Mo Hayder - 4/5
3.Doctor Sleep; Stephen King - 5/5
4.Bellman & Black; Diane Setterfield - 4/5
5.Night Film, Marisha Pessl - 4.5/5
Books Read in October 
  1. The Lullaby of Polish Girls; Dagmara Dominczyk - 2.5/5 (eGalley - Oct-2013)
  2. Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock; Matthew Quick - 4.5/5 (audio and print) - Oct-2013
  3. Love Potion Number 10; Betsy Woodman - 4/5 (eGalley) - (Oct - 2013) 
  4. Stranded; Alex Kava - 4/5 (eGalley and audio) (Oct-2013)
  5. Moosewood Restaurant Favorites - 4.5/5 (eGalley) (Oct-2013) 
  6. Bellman & Black; Diane Setterfield - 4/5 (eGalley) (Oct-2013)
  7. Fin & Lady; Cathleen Schine - 4.5/5 (audio) (Oct-2013) 
  8. The Goldfinch; Donna Tartt - 5/5 (eGalley) - (Oct-2013) 
  9. The Story of a New Name; Elena Ferrante - 4.5/5 (eGalley) - (Oct-2013)
  10. Night Film; Marisha Pessl - 4.5/5 (audio and eGalley) (October-2013)
  11. The Last First Day; Carrie Brown - 4.5/5 (ARC) (Oct-2013)
  12. Vampire Baby; Kelly Bennett - 4.5/5 (Oct-2013) 
November Plans
(tentative)
Any plans for November? 

32 comments:

  1. I well remember the 2004 win because I knew the mother of one of the players on that team. My father-in-law is a huge Red Sox fan and I got him an autographed picture and was his favorite for a little while.

    I always feel sleep deprived these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the Red Socks! I did not take advantage of the extra hour of sleep and got up early this morning! Hope you have a great November

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi pat, I got up early Sunday am, but I did go to bed early:) as well.

      Delete
  3. Diane,
    Did you ever read The Price of Fenway Park by Julianna Baggott? It is middle grade, but still one of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always so impressed with your completed list! My should read list just keeps growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine grow too each month with new additions from fellow readers:-

      Delete
  5. While I was rooting for the Cards… I must say I was thrilled that Boston finally won the series in their hometown. Congratulations to the Red Sox :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's certainly been an exciting week for Boston! You had some great reads last month - hope your November books are just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you love The Night Guest as much as I did...and I've added Fin & Lady to my list. Also the Nantucket Christmas. Love Nancy Thayer. Enjoy your new month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it a lot - but so disappointed in Fiona and actually Ruth's kids too:(

      Delete
  8. This has been an exciting time for Boston! Enjoy your reading, Diane, and try to catch up on your sleep now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Susan -- it has been both exciting and tiring for our family - for more reasons than just the SOX win.

      Delete
  9. Impressive lists! I'm about two-thirds into The Goldfinch, but took a break to read Help for the Haunted, which I didn't finish before October ended. I didn't stay up to watch the World Series games, but still feel sleep-deprived, anyway, even with the extra hour today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive list! I should do an end of the month wrap up, I might see I read more than I think. We watched the series and was glad Boston won! I can go to sleep anytime I sit still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, my husband doses off a lot. I like a good nap, but prefer to take it in bed:)

      Delete
  11. Congrats to Boston on the win! My SIL is a huge fan and I will have to order a cap for Christmas for him. Great reading month. I am looking forward the the Joshilyn Jackson books too. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't stay up late for all the games, but did see most of them - my husband was watching them, so it was always on in the background. I'm pleased for Boston - they had gone so long without winning - but my youngest was following the Cardinals and was sad they lost so badly.

    I think it's our age, I'm tired all the time too!

    Good reading plans for November ,I'm not as organized these days. If I plan ahead, I end up not reading any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Susan, I remember my mom enjoying naps at my age, and now - I can relate to what a luxury they are.

      Delete
  13. We were traveling so didn't get a chance to watch the games. Hooray for Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't really enter into comments about the games, but it appears to have been an exciting build up.

    My plans for November are to immerse myself in more books ... and to continue with my own book, in the hope that it will achieve what I hope for it; that it will live up to my expectations and not fall away. I think that I am about two thirds through and need to bring it to the ending in exactly the right way so as not to lose a drop of the essence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the Red Sox win! Couldn't have happened in a better year given the events at the marathon in April.

    I, for one, was very happy to get my hour back - I always miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on completing your RIP Challenge - it flew by didn't it? I've signed up for a reading challenge in November - I'm crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky you - three World Series wins! I fear even if I live to be 100 I will never see the Cubs win one. At this point their reputation depends on losing and I've begun to believe they do it on purpose!

    Nice job with RIPVIII. I was going to read Bellman & Black for RIP too but a few others slipped in ahead of it and I ran out of month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky you! I wonder when the Indians will win one?

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes, not sleeping much these days either, because of books!! your #8 is waiting on my shelf! Here is my recap: http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/11/08/2013-october-wrap-up/
    I should do a list with reviews to write as you did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.