Tuesday, July 29, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Conditions of Love; Dale M. Kushner

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? This week's pick seems like a good summer read to me.

Dale M. Kushner
Grand Central Publishing - 2013
Chapter 1
MERN

" My mother was dead set against me calling her Ma.  When the offending sound passed my lips, she pinched my chin and enunciated very slowly, the way she talked to her parakeet, Mr. Puccini-- 'Baby say Mern not Mama. Baby say Mern.' She was hoping, no doubt, that with time and a little encouragement, I might grow into an adaptable companion whose demands were minimal, someone with whom she could discuss Cary Grant's perfect profile, Shelly Winter's yen for men.

Mern was different and I was different too.  I was the only kid who didn't have a father.  Do you miss him? neighborhood kids would ask. 'He's gone,' I'd say, shrugging. Will you see him again? Why did he leave? 'Don't know,' I'd answer. And I didn't."

What do you think? Would you read more? I haven't started this one yet, but I think it's going to be a good one.

Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads and link below. 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to try it for a while and I do like the young narrators voice.

      Delete
  2. I don't know anything about this book, and I think I would just like to read a few more pages to get a feel for what the plot is about. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have a good feeling about this one. I think it will be a bit quirky, a bit gritty and a bit tender.

      Delete
  3. I like the front cover and the first paragraph sounds interesting but the title has love in it and I don't tend to read romance books so I think maybe I'd want to read a bit more before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I sense this is more about growing up in a dysfunctional environment, then it is about romance.

      Delete
  4. It's intriguing but I'd need to read a bit more before I committed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's easy to connect with the character from that opener. I would certainly read on.

    Kay
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd read a little more before deciding...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has my curiosity so I'd continue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like birds on book covers. This one makes me think of The Goldfinch. It's a pretty cover. The beginning is interesting too. Wonder will she ever know any more about her father.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great opening. I want to know more about their relationship and how the absence of a father affects the character's life.
    My Tuesday post features THE MOST UNSUITABLE WIFE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the opening too and would keep reading. I am not familiar with the book, so had to look it up. It sounds good! I hope you enjoy it!

    My daughter calls me Mama, which I don't mind at all. It's funny though because I never really called myself that when she was younger--it was always Mommy or Mom. I'll be a little sad when she does stop calling me Mama. I love the sound of it coming from her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That painted an interesting picture so I would read some more too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would read more. The young narrator sounds like someone I could connect with. I will wait for your review, but it is a possible contender for my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would keep reading. We were not allowed to call our mom Ma either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does sound good, Diane. I already feel empathy for the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.