Friday, July 3, 2015

Find the Good; Heather Lende

Find the Good; Heather Lende
Algonquin - 2015

​In the tiny town of Haines, Alaska (population 2,000), author Heather Lende has been writing obituaries for the local newspaper.  It's easy in a town like this to really get to know the people of the town.  Of course​, not everyone, even in a small town like Haines, becomes your friend. However, when a person in the town dies, Heather's job is to write about their life, and to "find the good", in everyone that she write's about.

Told in short, essay style chapters, Find the Good, is both quirky and moving.  She shows readers how to find the positive even in negative situations although we might not be able to see it at the time.  Whether it's losing a job, the break up of a marriage, there is an opportunity to start fresh and to make things better. 

There are many lessons to be learned by reading this short book. I consider myself to be a fairly thick-skinned individual, but surprisingly, I found moments when soon after laughing about something I read, I was then shedding a tear. It was touching to read about how someone's lowest moments in life reached new highpoints, simply because of the compassion shown by others.  For cat lover's there's a sweet essay: Take the Kind of Happiness That Comes Your Way, about a sweet cat named Betty, who started out as the runt of the litter. This was one of the essays that brought a tear to my eye.

I found it surprising that someone could turn such a grim topic like death into truly a delightful read. Heather gives us new insight on what it means to live a meaningful life.

I can't wait to try Heather's first book, If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name.

5/5 stars
(sent by publisher)

18 comments:

  1. Adding this to my wish list, Diane. Thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it Mary. The world would be a better place if everyone tried to "Find the Good" in everyone we meet.

      Delete
  2. Adding to my wish list, too. Thanks, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audio version might be good, too... short, read by author, and very highly rated!

      Delete
  3. I liked this a lot too. It's very uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to find out about this book. It sounds like a good book from someone with a unique perspective. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice choice when I just couldn't find the right book to interest me.

      Delete
  5. I'm adding it too! I always try to find the good in every situation, so I think I'd enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not heard of this but like how it sounds. Will be adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A feel good book for sure even though there were some sad moments.

      Delete
  7. I have this one waiting for me. I loved her first book, and enjoyed her second book - although not as much as her first. Can't wait to see what she writes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I need to check that out, I just thought she had 2 books.

      Delete
  8. Oh, this looks good and just what my spirit could use these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I either have this on my Kindle already or I have it on hold from the library. I can't remember but after so many good reviews I feel as if I need to read it. Everyone can use a little positivity in their day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.