Tuesday, July 7, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Invisible Ellen; Shari Shattuck


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.


Invisible Ellen; Shari Shattuck
Putnam - 2014

"Occasionally, though not very often, Ellen Homes would wonder how she gained two hundred seventy-three pounds and simultaneously disappeared.  Not that she necessarily need an answer, or even wanted one, because, simply put, being unseen was everything Ellen ever wanted.

It was also all she could remember.  Her mother, a noun she used for lack of an inoffensive alternative, had apparently at some point forgotten she had a daughter.  Ellen had a vague memory of the woman packing up vodka bottles and a glass pipe before leaving her alone in a grubby room of a halfway house when she was five.  The only thing she clearly recalled from that event was the gnawing hunger, and the joy of eating a cinnamon bun someone had eventually given her.  But the details of life with that woman, and especially that particular day, Ellen enthusiastically and effectively smothered, perfectly under artificial non dairy dessert topping, or gravy."

What do you think -- keep reading or pass?
(feel free to join in by posting your link below)

43 comments:

  1. I read this one a while ago, and it was definitely unique. Kind of sad, too, but then uplifting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great first sentence. I like the contradiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound sad. I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really interesting beginning because it sets up so much and really draws you in! I'd definitely keep reading! Thanks for hosting :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of this...want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard alot about this one. I'd definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, she has a new book coming out too. This is the type of read I needed about now.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like could be sad. I"d have to be in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see her transforming little by little. She has a great voice.

      Delete
  8. Hmm, I'm not sure about this one...

    I made a mistake with my link... feel free to remove the first one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh - I love the writing in that intro! I'd definitely keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, would like to read this one. I know what it feels like to find comfort in food.(: I would read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The intro is quite sad, but it grabbed me, so I'd definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like an interesting read. Going to add it to my TBR, because that intro quite grabbed me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first reaction was, I want to be invisible!! Then after reading the first paragraph, I thought how sad and very disturbing. But I would read this one. Hope you like it, I'll watch for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds sad, but after the first few paragraphs you begin to see her willing to step out of her comfort zone.

      Delete
  14. The opening is sad. I'm not sure if this one is for me, but I'd keep reading to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure I would like it, but it is very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is sad. There are times I do wish I was invisible. I would keep reading. I want to know that Ellen will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds so sad . . . I'd have to be in the right reading mood to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very sad. I'd keep reading though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will win you over I think, she's quite the character.

      Delete
  19. An intriguing introduction - I think I might have to add this one to my TBR list

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a sad beginning. I hope she triumphs in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds interesting....I'm hoping this is fiction and not a memoir. How sad it if it true...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.