Tuesday, July 19, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Watching Edie; Camilla Way


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon. 


Watching Edie; Camilla Way
(NAL) New American Library - 2016

AFTER

Outside my kitchen window the long afternoon empties of light.  I look at London stretched out far below, my dripping hands held poised above the sink.  The doorbell rings, one long high peal; The broken intercom vibrates.  The view from up here, it's incredible, as if you're flying.  Deptford and Greenwich, New Cross and Erith, then the river, and beyond that there's the Gherkin, over there the Shard.  From my top floor flat here on Telegraph Hill, you can see forever and as usual it calms me, soothes me: how big it is, how small I am, how far from where I used to be.

The doorbell rings more urgently--whoever it is is putting their finger on the buzzer and holding it there.  The night hovers.

What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?












28 comments:

  1. The title, the cover, and the location all make me want to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like it! I've been eyeing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all that suspense. You bet I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one and loved it - that opening is full of suspense isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd read on - I like the way she paints a picture of both the large view of London contrasted to the scene inside. And I want to know who is ringing the door bell so urgently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great opening. This is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep reading!! Definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the cover, and there's just enough suspense in that first paragraph to make you keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, I haven't started this yet but, I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  9. I really like this description of London, it is one of my favourite cities after all xD but I feel like you get a good sense of who the main character is, her contemplation but also, I think, slight stubbornness! It's a great start and lovely cover! Thanks for hosting and sharing :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juli, I've never been to London but love reading about it.

      Delete
  10. Love this writing and the setting. Makes me want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How reflective. It really make me wonder where the character has been.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intriguing! I'd definitely keep reading. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to start this one today after I finish another book:)

      Delete
  13. Yes, I'm hooked! I lived in New Cross as a student and there is extra enjoyment in knowing the terrain. (It was a rough old area in the early '60's!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.