Tuesday, August 23, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - They Left Us Everything: a memoir; Plum Johnson


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon. (I love a good memoir and think this one will hit the spot, I'm enjoying the writing style).



They Left Us Everything: A Memoir; Plum Johnson
G.P. Putnam & Sons - 2016

Never Mind the Dog

"The night before I turn sixty-three, I'm looking in the mirror, pulling my sagging jawline up to my ears, listening to voice mails on speakerphone. Three are from Mum:

'Happy birthday m'darlin!'
Promise you'll drive out first thing tomorrow!
Damn this machine! Call me!'

Mum is ninety-three, and these are her messages just since dinner.  Nineteen years, one month, and twenty-six days of eldercare have brought me to my knees.  But first thing next morning, I crawl to my car, hack at the ice on my windshield, and slump into the front seat with the heater cranked up."


What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?





27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book I'll enjoy. I love books with characters of varying ages, especially when some of them are older. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when I find a good book with characters that are older (like me) LOL

      Delete
  2. This one is new to me, but it does pique my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only shelf for a few months but, I was looking for a good memoir and I think this is it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes. This sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, that sounds like a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would need more, but you know before deciding, I'm picky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like my mom. LOL Although she's younger and not in eldercare. I'll get a phone message, a text and an e-mail back to back, her trying to figure out which will get her the quickest response.

    This sounds like an interesting book, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to know what happens...and would definitely read on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tempting. I will try not to be that kind of old mom when I get there. My daughter-in-law thinks I already am. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm featuring a book with an older character today, too! This sounds like a good one.
    Thank you for hosting every Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great intro paragraph and I would definitely want to know more about the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love mother/daughter relationships. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like this one very much. I can hear tidbits of my life in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely interested in this. I've put it in my cart. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.