R.I.P XI is a reading celebration started by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings eleven years ago. It's a celebration that runs from September 1 through October 31st. Check out Carl's blog for detailed info but, basically just have fun reading scary stuff or watching scary films.
Reading and film subject matters would fall into some form of the following areas:
- Dark Fantasy
There are only two expectations if you want to participate with us:
- Have fun reading (and watching).
- Share that fun with others.
I plan to read (4) books (from my shelves - another bonus) for this challenge. I've included a brief description of each.
- The Killer Next Door; Alex Marwood ---Everyone who lives at 23 Beulah Grove has a secret. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be renting rooms in a sketchy South London building for cash—no credit check, no lease. It’s the kind of place you end up when you you’ve run out of other options. The six residents mostly keep to themselves, but one unbearably hot summer night, a terrible accident pushes them into an uneasy alliance. What they don’t know is that one of them is a killer. He’s already chosen his next victim, and he’ll do anything to protect his secret.
- The Wicked Girls; Alex Marwood---On a fateful summer morning in 1986, two eleven-year-old girls meet for the first time. By the end of the day, they will both be charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, journalist Kirsty Lindsay is reporting on a series of sickening attacks on young female tourists in a seaside vacation town when her investigation leads her to interview carnival cleaner Amber Gordon. For Kirsty and Amber, it’s the first time they’ve seen each other since that dark day so many years ago. Now with new, vastly different lives—and unknowing families to protect—will they really be able to keep their wicked secret hidden?
- The Wasp Factory; Ian Banks---The polarizing literary debut by Scottish author Ian Banks, The Wasp Factory is the bizarre, imaginative, disturbing, and darkly comic look into the mind of a child psychopath.
- The Heavens May Fall; Allen Eskens--Detective Max Rupert and attorney Boady Sanden’s friendship is being pushed to the breaking point. Max is convinced that Jennavieve Pruitt was killed by her husband, Ben. Boady is equally convinced that Ben, his client, is innocent. As the case unfolds, the two are forced to confront their own personal demons.
How about joining this Fright Fest?