Tuesday, December 6, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Premonition; Chris Bohjalian



Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph or two, from a book I'm reading or will be reading soon.

 (This Kindle single - (Amazon - $1.99) is a prequel to Chris B's soon to be released (Jan.10th) novel, The Sleepwalker. Doubleday-2017



"It wasn't a premonition.  That was too strong a word.

But as I stood by the side of the road and watched the power line buffeted by the great, persistent gusts from the south, I had a sense--a distinct sense--that the line was going to snap.  It was going to whip high above the wooden poles, then fall to earth, surrounded by the sparks from the nearby transformer.  There it would electrify the ground.  I was seventeen that afternoon and I saw it all in my mind: black thunderclouds rising above the fields behind the line, the corn tasseled, two Morgan horses looking wary as the walked in small circles in the fence-in meadow at the edge of the road, and the sparks as they pinwheeled like fireflies above the pavement."

Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?

Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.


17 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't know there was a prequel! I have The Sleepwalker...but it looks like I need to read this one first. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, this description is vivid and ominous--I'd read more. I would like to read something by Chris Bohjalian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I want to read on! I love Chris Bohjalian's writing. I want to read everything he's written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi great post, will have to look at this one, thanks for sharing
    My link has been added

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great opening - full of foreboding and tension - and I'd definitely keep reading. I read MIDWIVES by this author and absolutely loved it, so I'm sure I'd like this story too.
    Thank you for hosting. I've discovered many great books through this group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Diane, I do want to keep reading. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane that is a great opening, incredibly evocative I had no trouble at all picturing that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this - first of all the title caught my attention and then the opening lines so precisely describing what she or he saw. I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a premonition to me. I like the sound of this one. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read The Sleepwalker this past weekend and loved it. So, yes, I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good and I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the author and I intend to read Sleepwalkers, so Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a love/hate relationship with prequels. I do like the intro and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Power lines falling didn't have me on the edge of my seat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I'd keep reading. I prefer his contemporary novels over his historical fiction and this one sounds intriguing! I need to see if I can get this prequel on my Nook, though, since I don't own a Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Knowing Chris Bohjalian, I would keep reading, for sure!
    Hoping you are very well,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.