Tuesday, November 29, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Setting Free the Kites; Alex George


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph or two, from a book I'm reading or will be reading soon.  (I LOVED this author's last book, The Good American.)


Putnam - 2017

PROLOGUE

Haverford, Maine
2016

"Nathan Tilly gave me the story I'm going to tell, but it was the old paper mill that set my memories free.

I read the report in the Haverford Gazette the previous week.  The mill had not been operational for more than fifty years, but now the land has been sold to a supermarket chain, and the old building is to be razed to make way for a customer parking lot.  The news has prompted vigorous local debate.  Some are angry that the city council has allowed part of our municipal heritage to be sold off.  Others are excited at the prospect of rest bagels. Such is progress

For myself, I'm sorry to see the old place go.  I want to pay my last respects, watch the thing go down."


Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?

Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.




21 comments:

  1. This one is new to me. I'd like to read a little more before deciding. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it is as good as The Good American which I read with my book group.

      Delete
  2. I am not too familiar with this one, but it does sound good. I've seen a lot of that type of thing over the years--old buildings make way for new construction and new purpose. It's always a bit sad, but then, it's also progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like when they repurpose old mill buildings with a combo of loft apartments and shops.

      Delete
  3. I like how this starts with the conflict between the two sides in the town. Yes, I'd like to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the premise of this book. That is a quiet and thoughtful opener although I think we are quite clear that our narrator's view isn't the same as those who prefer bagels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure. I do like when they repurpose old mill buildings with a combo of loft apartments and shops.

      Delete
  5. I love Alex George ... of course I'll be reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would need a bit more, curious about this author though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This author has a writing style I enjoy. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I didn't read anything that would make me want to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting opening. I'm wondering what significance the old building has to the story.
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderfully evocative opening. I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good ... and I like the author, so yes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely one I would keep reading. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Tuesday, Diane! This one sounds good--I'd read more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read more about the title save what you highlighted here and I'm guessing this may be a bit of a coming of age story? So I would definitely read more to see if I was right :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, nostalgia. Gets me every time. I would definitely keep reading!

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2016/11/29/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-the-odds-of-loving-grover-cleveland/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Without a blurb to give me more of a feel, I would not continue just from that paragraph. It sounds like a story often told before, not a bad thing, but would need a new twist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.