Thursday, August 31, 2017

August in Review - Goodbye Summer


It's beginning to feel like summer really is slipping away -- kids will be headed back to school, 50 degree nights and 70 degree days and, apple picking time has begun. I love fall but, just don't feel ready to say goodbye to summer yet.

I've enjoyed my summer blogging break and hope to get back to posting a little more frequently beginning in September and, of course, it's time to start thinking about my fall reading list: more mysteries and, yes,  Stephen King's September release: Sleeping Beauties.

                                                         Linky returns on September 5th

My reading was way down this summer but, I wouldn't have changed a thing  -- sometimes books just aren't the most important thing -- did I really say that? LOL. 

August Reads (6) books 

(YTD (70) books


  1. Orhan's Inheritance; Aline Ohanesian (library-book group read) - 4/5 (August/2017)
  2. Papa: My Story; David Ortiz - 4/5 (library) (August/2017)
  3. Grief Cottage; Gail Godwin - 4.5/5 (eGalley) (August/2017)
  4. A Stranger in the House; Shari Lapena - 4/5 (audio) (August/2017)
  5. The Lauras; Sara Taylor - 4/5 (arc) (August/2017)
  6. Home going; Yaa Gyasi (reread-book group) 4.5/5 August/2017
Currently Reading
  1. Little Fires Everywhere; Celeste Ng (eGalley) 
  2. The Almost Sisters; Joshilyn Jackson (audio) 
  3. Before, During, After; Richard Bausch (ARC) 


We were on a roll in August with winning movies at the theaters. With the exception of Dunkirk, all were seen a Indie theater which gets the greatest films.  Maudie, Wind River and Inconvenient Sequel were all excellent and highly recommended.  Dunkirk was good as well but, war movies just aren't my thing.  (Maudie and Wind River were based on true stories -- excellent) and Inconvenient Sequel, very well done.







How was your month for books and movies?

14 comments:

  1. Diane, it sounds like you had a great summer, and it does feel as if the autumn's nearly here. When we were in New England and NY, the weather was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was 59 degrees at 9:30a.m. today. Glad you enjoyed your trip to east coast.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a nice blog break, Diane. Sounds like you have some good reading ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, it was so nice just to not have to think about posting this summer!

      Delete
  3. I miss summer already, what little of it we had.... Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a much milder summer, which I loved, but we still may be in for that hotter, October Indian summer -- one can never rule that out.

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you. We are at the tail end of a seven day heat wave with temps above 100 each day and barely any cool down at night, so it still feels like summer here! I like your reading selections. I have been reading steadily and you are almost level with me on YTD numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read anything for about 2 weeks! It may be the start of school or just a mini-slump, but I picked up 4 YA novels from a school library so I hope that will get me going! And I definitely want to see the movie Dunkirk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish our weather was more fall-like, but then, it rarely is this time of year where I live. It's 108F today with thunderstorms on the way. The air is smokey from all the nearby fires.

    I am glad you enjoyed your break, Diane! You've been missed. Welcome back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy - I'm surprised you have that heat this time of year -- awful. Hope you are reading some great books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! So happy you're bringing back your Tuesday link-up. Not sure I'll be there tomorrow, but I shall participate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked Dunkirk, but war movies aren't my thing either. I want to see Wind River and the Inconvenient sequel. Now that Gage is back in school I feel like I can take a deep breath and catch up with my online life :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.