Tuesday, September 19, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Deep Dark Descending; Allen Eskens


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon. This one is a followup to The Heavens May Fall, which I really enjoyed.

Seventh Street Books - 2017

Chapter 1

Up North

"I raise the ax handle for the third time and my arm disobeys me.  It stiffens above my head, and my hand tangled in knots of shouldn't and should and all those second thoughts that I swore wouldn't stop me.  My chest burns to take in oxygen.  My body trembles with a crystalline rage, and my mind screams orders to my mutinous hand.  For Christ's sake, get it over with.  This is what you came here for. Kill him!"

Does this intro make you curious for more?

Please feel free to join in each Tuesday with your own "First Chapter, First Paragraph Intro" by linking your post from the book you are reading below. 



29 comments:

  1. What an intense opening! I can sense his feelings with each move he makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is intense! I read a book by this author earlier this year and enjoyed it. I hope you are enjoying this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed all of his books and for this one, so far so good.

      Delete
  3. Well, that certainly got my attention! I hope the "he" she's referring to is nasty rooster who's time is up in the chicken yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like book beginnings to take their time. Thus, for me, this is a little too much at the start of a book. The premise is still interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an opening. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is at the very top of my book pile. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bit dramatic but yes I'd like to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - Great opening paragraph! - Cant wait to learn more about this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure would read some more to find out what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This teaser definitely has me curious and wanting to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That opening screams at me to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The 1st paragraph doesn't matter because The Life We Bury was so darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to find out what happens next! I'm curious as to why the narrator has to kill "him" when they're obviously so conflicted about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.