Tuesday, January 16, 2018

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - An American Marriage; Tayari Jones


Every Tuesday Vicki @ I'd Rather Be at the Beach now hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where readers share the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that they are reading or plan to read soon. 

Here's the book that I'm starting today.

An American Marriage; Tayari Jones
Algonquin - February 2018


Bridge Music

Roy

"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who leave home, and those who don't.  I'm a proud member of the first category.  My wife, Celestial, used to say that I'm a country boy at the core, but I never cared for that designation.  For one, I'm not from the country per se.  Elon, Louisiana, is a small town.  When you hear country, you think raising crops, baling hay, and milking cows.  Never in my life have I picked a single cotton boil, although my daddy did.  I have never touched a horse, goat or pig, nor have I any desire to.  Celestial used to laugh, clarifying that she's not saying I'm a farmer, just country.  She is from Atlanta, and there was a case to be made that she is country, too. But let her tell it, she's a 'southern woman', not to be confused with 'southern belle.' For some reason, 'Georgia Peach' is all right with her, and it's all right with me, so there you have it."

Based on that intro, would you read more or pass? 

28 comments:

  1. This intro didn't grab me, but the blurb on Amazon has me a little more curious. Guess I'll wait to hear your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...this one may not be for me, but I'll take a look at the Amazon blurb. Hope you enjoy it, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a page turner from what I know about this one.

      Delete
  3. There's been a lot of buzz about this book. I have a copy and hope to read it soon. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the first sentence, but the rest of the paragraph wasn't drawing me in. I think I would probably pass on this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked the first sentence but not the rest. It does have my interest based on description.

      Delete
  5. This isn't a genre I read. I would give it a pass because nothing really grabbed me. This week I'm featuring a book that has been sitting on TBR mountain way too long - Martians Abroad by Carrie Vaughn. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, we all have our specific areas of interest. I hope your current read it a good one./

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed what we learned about the characters in that intro. I am adding this one to my list.

    Here's mine: “GENUINE FRAUD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound good Laurel; think it seems like one you'd like.

      Delete
  7. That's a nice introduction to two characters. It felt more like I just met two people at a function somewhere. I'd keep reading as, so far, I like them,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the intro, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love the intro but, I do want to read this one as the description sounds good.

      Delete
  9. Nothing grabbed me on this intro but I'd still like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love the intro beyond the first few sentences but, this book is getting a lot of buzz.

      Delete
  10. I'd read more. Although the opening didn't really "wow me", the narrator sounds real and believable. Thanks for taking the time to share this intro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I might have read on but it sounds like it wrapped up in the last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a book I'd like. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That seems like an interesting beginning...and pretty accurate for how people describe where you're from too. Even if you're not from a farm, if you're from a small town it's probably country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.