Tuesday, March 13, 2018

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Lucky Us; Amy Bloom


Every Tuesday Vicki @ I'd Rather Be at the Beach now hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where readers share the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that they are reading or plan to read soon. This week's book is our book group selection for March.

Lucky Us; Amy Bloom
Random House - 2016

Part One
1939-1943

I'd Know You Anywhere

"MY FATHERS WIFE DIED. MY MOTHER SAID WE SHOULD DRIVE down to his place and see what might be in it for us.

She tapped my nose with her grapefruit spoon. It's like this, she said.  Your father loves us more, but he's got another family, a wife, and a girl a little older than you.  Her family had all the money. Wipe your face."


Based on the intro, would you read more or pass on this one?

14 comments:

  1. The intro is a bit interesting, but I'd have to read a bit more to decide if I wanted to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane!

    I do like the way the mum is a bit too harsh... straight to the point, as in - it's a great way to hook the reader. She's not taking any stick!

    Here's mine: The Third Victim by Phillip Margolin http://bit.ly/2Gq9fVa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy now that is going to make for an interesting family reunion! Definitely would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The opening doesn't grab me, and I've had mixed results reading Bloom's books. I would probably give this one a pass. Hope you enjoy it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it primarily because its promising some good family drama. Maybe a little snarky? Enjoy, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, that one didn't grab me either, they sound weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read Amy Bloom, but this sounds intriguing! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this book, but somehow just couldn't connect with the characters. I hope you are enjoying it...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that intro sounds interesting, but I also think I'd be annoyed with the mother. So, I'd likely pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The intro sounds quite strange, it would prompt me to read on though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would skip this, sorry!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/just-me-and-my-blog-reviews-win-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read this one. I loved it! I love all of Amy Bloom's books. She is rather unique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did read this one and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.