Friday, July 20, 2018

Tin Man; Sarah Winman

Tin Man; Sarah Winman
GP Putnam - 2018

I decided to read this book after several reviewers mentioned the beautiful writing.

The story begins in the 1950's with Dora Judd in what seems to be a very unhappy marriage to Leonard. Unfulfilled with her life in general, a newly acquired Van Gogh print of "sunflowers" that she claims she won in a raffle, is the one thing that means the world to her.

Ellis and Michael were just 12 years old when they became friends in Oxford, both boys had domineering fathers.  What begins as friendships grows into something more but, their lives move in different directions.

Fast forward to 1996 and Ellis is a conflicted man who works at the Crowley car plant, he is now married to Annie and prone to periods of sadness. He often thinks about his boyhood friend Michael. As the story progresses the reader learns what happened to the people who meant the most to Ellis.

Based on the reviews I've come across, I'm probably in the minority here, but I had a hard time finishing this book. Yes, the writing was very good,  but often felt too melancholy and over done at times as well.  So overall, this one just wasn't for me and left me disappointed.

Rating - 3/5 stars

10 comments:

  1. I don't like overdone writing so this might not be for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this does sound melancholy. Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on audio but decided not to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it more than you but I guess thats how it goes with reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! It was fine, but I didn't understand all the hype!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the Tin Man is still looking for the Wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I had not even heard of this book until your review. Does it come to any resolution for the characters?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always difficult when there is a book that everyone loves and then it falls short for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, dear. I had heard positive things about this book, but now I'm not sure I want to read it. Time will tell. Hope you're having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved it. I enjoy thoughtful, quiet novels though. This love triangle was a little different. I don't know how often a triangle like this one happens in real life but it felt authentic to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.