Tuesday, August 7, 2018

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - House Arrest; Ellen Meeropol


Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book that they are reading or plan to read. 

  House Arrest; Ellen Meeropol
Red Hen Press - 2011

1 ~ Emily

"I tried to get out of the assignment.  Prenatal visits to a prisoner? Okay, house arrest, same difference.  I couldn't believe that I was supposed to take care of a woman whose child died in a cult ritual.  What kind of mother could get so involved in an oddball religion that she'd let her baby freeze to death? And what kind of name was Pippa?

Don't get me wrong. Every patient deserves expert and compassionate care.  Even the most despicable criminal.  I learned that in nursing school and I believe it, really.  Still, the assignment gave me the creeps."


What do you think? This is the author's debut novel. I recently finished another book by this author that I really enjoyed, Kinship of Clover, so decided to try her debut novel as well.

24 comments:

  1. Yes, I would read more, sounds like it might be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has me curious. See what I'm featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to beginning this one, it's rather short.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'd keep going. Probably helps that my daughter is a L&D nurse and I've heard all sorts of prenatal and postnatal stories. I'm curious about that cover though. Seriously. I can't think what that might represent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me curious to know more but the narrator seems awfully judgemental. This week I am featuring Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'd probably be reacting the same way but, I do realize I can be a bit judgmental at times - not a good thing.

      Delete
  5. This is rather odd, which makes me interested to read on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the crisp writing. The author sure got my attention. Good for a debut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very tempting! And I love the name Pippa...lol. (That's the name of my Kindle).

    When I think of going inside prisons, I do get a little anxious...and remember scenes from Orange Is the New Black.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched Orange is the New Black but, I immediately thought of you and your Pippa when I read the intro LOL

      Delete
  8. I would read more of this book! It has my interest! Going on my ever growing TBR!

    Here is mine for today: woabookreviews.wordpress.com/2018/08/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-week-2/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd keep reading. I want to know more about this woman and how she got mixed up in a cult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author was a nurse practitioner so I'm wondering if she might have had a similar experience at some time.

      Delete
  10. Oh yes what a great sounding book - I love the opening because I think it is an absolutely realistic reaction from the narrator...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really intriguing. I'd definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am intrigued and look forward to your thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, that makes me curious. I'm not sure I'd want the assignment either. Sounds like a good read though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.