Tuesday, August 21, 2018

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Calypso; David Sedaris


Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book that they are reading or plan to read.  David Sedaris, is one of my "go to" authors for when I need some comic relief. Looking forward to beginning his latest book.

Calypso; David Sedaris
Little Brown - 2018

Company Man

"Though there's an industry built telling you otherwise, there are few real joys to middle age.  The only perk I can see is that, with luck, you'll acquire a guest room.  Some people get one by default when their kids leave home, and others, like me, eventually trade up and land a bigger house.  "Follow me." I now say.  The room I lead our visitors to has not been hastily rearranged to accommodate them.  It does not double as an office or weaving nook but, exists for only one purpose.  I have furnished it with a bed rather than a fold-out sofa, and against one wall, just like in the hotel, I've placed a luggage rack.  The best feature, though, is its private bathroom.

"If you prefer a shower to a tub, I can put you upstairs in the second guest room," I say.  "There's a luggage rack up there as well." I hear these words coming from my puppet-lined mouth and shiver with middle-aged satisfaction..  Yes, my hair is gray and thinning.  Yes, the washer on my penis has worn out, leaving me to dribble urine long after I've zipped my trousers back up.  But I have two guest rooms."

Have you ever tried this author? Pass or Read more?

29 comments:

  1. Love Sedaris... especially on audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the audio and book from the library so it should be fun.

      Delete
  2. I am with Joanne, love to listen on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the audio and book from the library so it should be fun.

      Delete
  3. This one doesn't grab me. I've never read the author. This week I have Through the Fire by Katie Ruggle from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the narrator's voice...I can feel the irony and his mixed feelings, since he has many good things to enjoy...and others, not so much. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't tried this author Laurel, he's so good for making you laugh.

      Delete
  5. I'm surprised;I like this one. I've always been curious about this author. I wanted to read further. I would like to see what a "weaving nook" looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having just read this book, it's fun to see that you are starting it as well. I enjoyed the vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's always one for making you smile. Glad u read it and liked it.

      Delete
  7. That "washer" comment is so funny! I think I've read one of his books but bet I'd like the audio of them better. I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audio is the way to go Vicki. Read by the author who does a great job.

      Delete
  8. If I was in the right mood I might keep reading. Thanks for visiting Girl Who Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime you need a good laugh - he's a great "go-to" author.

      Delete
  9. I read Calypso not that long ago and enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like just about anything this author does. I'm going to see if the library has this on audio. He usually reads his own books and I love his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will get to this one eventually. It is time for me to meet Sedaris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny writing (about life), I highly recommend his audio editions as well.

      Delete
  12. What a brilliant opener Diane and I absolutely want to find out more about the joys of middle age!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love, love, love David Sedaris!! That opener already had me laughing. But I most enjoy his books on audio - he always reads them himself, and he can take me from laughing out loud to tearing up in no time. First time I listened to one of his books, I was stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge outside of NY, and the other drivers around me probably thought I was crazy, laughing to myself!

    Enjoy!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the audios for his book the best as well Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd read more. The narrator is definitely intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.