Tuesday, March 5, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Small Fry; Lisa Brennan-Jobs



Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book that they are reading or plan to read. 

Small Fry; Lisa Brennan-Jobs
Grove Press - 2018

"Three months before he died, I began to steal things from my father's house.  I wandered around barefoot and slipped objects into my pockets. I took blush, toothpaste, two chipped finger bowls in celadon blue, a bottle of nail polish, a pair of worn patent leather ballet slippers, and four white faded pillowcases the color of old teeth.

After stealing each item, I felt sated. I promised myself that this would be the last time. But soon the urge to take something else would arrive again like thirst."

What do you think - read more or pass? So far I'm really enjoying this memoir.

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm...interesting assortment of things to steal or take. And this is a memoir? I think I'll wait for your final verdict. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Job's daughter - it is a weird opening but, the story has grabbed me.

      Delete
  2. This is on my list to read. Hoping to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know why she's stealing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just listened to a podcast last night with NYTimes book editor Pamela Paul... this was listed on their top 5 nonfiction list last year. I wasn't planning to read it, but will consider it now. Looking forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would read a little more to find out why her Dad worn finger nail polish and ballet slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this book! I was interested in Lisa in the movies I saw about Steve Jobs.

    Enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I am interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not my usual genre, but I am intrigued by what she did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds quirky but I know it's anything but. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting. At first, I thought it was a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting beginning! I thought it was a novel at first, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.