Tuesday, June 4, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Ditch; Herman Koch



Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read. 

The Ditch; Herman Koch
Hogarth - 2019

PART 1

"Let me call her sylvia. that's not her real name--her real name would only confuse things.  People make all kinds of assumptions when it comes to names, especially when a name isn't from around here, when they don't have a clue about how to pronounce it, let alone spell it.  So let's just say that it's not a Dutch name. My wife is not from Holland. Where she is from is something I'd rather leave up in the air for the time being.  Those in our immediate surroundings, of course, know where she's from.  And people who read the newspaper and watch the news with any regularity can't really have missed it either.  But most people have a bad memory. They may have heard it once, then forgotten."

I've read every dark novel by this author; this one will be released in the US on June 11th, what do you think? Read more or pass?

8 comments:

  1. I've read several of his novels--they are dark and haunting. I'll read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much rambling on with no substance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike almost everyone else I did NOT like The Dinner, so have not continued to read this author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I didn't realise he had another book coming out - yes I would keep reading there are so many questions begging to be answered already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with this author. The opening is interesting. See what I'm featuring this week at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this author's novels too and plan to read this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't think I've ever read this author, but I like the sound of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have The Dinner on my TBR pile. I like the sound of this one from the excerpt you shared, Diane.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.