Tuesday, November 12, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - An Elephant in my Kitchen; Francoise Malby-Anthony


Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where readers post the opening paragraph(s) of a book that they are reading or plan to read. 

 
An Elephant in My Kitchen; Francoise Malby-Anthony
Sidgwick & Jackson - 2019

1
The only walls between humans and elephants are the ones we put up ourselves.

Violent weather always unsettled our elephants, and the predicted gale-force winds meant there was a danger of trees blowing over and causing breaches in Thula's perimeter fence.  The cyclone has threatened for days, and while we desperately needed water after a scorching summer, we definitely didn't need a tropical storm.  We were worried about the herd, but my husband Lawrence and I were confident that, somewhere in the vast expanse of our game reserve, they had been led to safety by their new matriarch, and my namesake, Frankie.

We hadn't seen them near the house in a while and I missed them.

I've long loved these gentle creatures and thought this might be a great read for non fiction November.

What do you think?

13 comments:

  1. I did not think it was about real elephants when I read the title! I wish you could come here and see the elephants both wild and tamed in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I can't decide, it's sort of good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title alone would have me giving this book a closer look. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a good choice for Nonfiction November. I had my eye on this title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you read it, I will be interested in your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a couple books about elephants over the years. They always sound like gentle and intelligent giants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover, love elephants, and would keep reading. I'm hoping my library system has this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once interviewed to be an elephant keeper. This sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fascinating. Not something I would typically pick up, but love how it begins and I would keep reading. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to read the blurb as well before making a decision, but it does sound intriguing. I'm concerned about so many animals, birds, and insects disappearing and love a success story or people who put in the effort to preserve both flora and fauna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go for it. Elephants are wondrous & intelligent creatures. I have seen them in Africa .... awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the first sentence. It drew me in right away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sound of this one. I didn't create a post for this event today, but plan to resume the feature next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.