January has come and gone and I'm happy that our winter weather and temps have been milder than usual. January was a good month for me in terms of really enjoying what I read (for the most part). I finished 9 books and had (1) DNF. (I'm really behind on reviews but, hope to do some mini reviews this week.)
(7) Fiction and (2) NF - (5) audios - (2)-eGalleys and (2) print
- The Guardians; John Grisham - 4/5 (audio/library)
- Surfside Sisters; Nancy Thayer - 4/5 (audio/library)
- American Dirt; Jeanine Cummins - 5/5 (eGalley)
- Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don't Know; Malcolm Gladwell - 3.5/5 (audio)
- The Stars Are Fire; Anita Shreve - 4/5 (reread/print/library/book group)
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone; Lori Gottlieb - 5/5 (library/print)
- The Secrets We Kept; Lara Prescott - 3.5/5 (audio/library)
- A Good Neighborhood; Therese Anne Fowler - 4.5/5 (eGalley)
- Olive Again; Elizabeth Strout - 5/5 (audio/library)DNF - The Violent Bear it Away; Flannery O'Connor
This Week's Winners
(loved them both)
This Week's Movies
(2 more winners!)
We loved 1917 - it wasn't at all what I had expected and we both thought it was wonderful!
I read Olive Kitteridge 10+ years ago and loved it and, let me tell you Olive, Again was just as good. I was so sad to have finished Olive, Again, that I immediately decided to watch the miniseries, as a refresher to the original "Olive" and, boy was I happy I did - so much to love above this series and a beautiful Maine setting as well. The prickly "Olive" was played by Frances McDormand. who was perfect for the role. (I am now very tempted to buy copies of both books). Have you read Olive Kitteridge or Olive, Again? Don't miss them!
The rest of the week included 3 days of yoga, dinner with high school friends (always fun catching up) a trip to the library and a visit from granddaughters - always a treat as well. Oh, yes, and we also caught up on Season 10 - episodes 1 and 2 of Curb Your Enthusiasm (we both needed something to laugh about after, a dreadful news week). It was so funny !
February Reading Plans - I actually haven't started another book after Olive, Again. I need to find another winner...any suggestions?
Possible February Reads - The Red Lotus; Chris Bohjalian and The Great Believers; Rebecca Makkai and The Heart's Invisible Furies; John Boyne
The end of the week is my husband's birthday so I'm making reservations at a favorite restaurant that we tend to hit only on a birthday as it's not that close to home but, worth traveling for.
How was you month?