Tuesday, June 22, 2021

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Mary Jane; Jessica Anya Blau



Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews
Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book we are reading or plan to read. 


Mary Jane; Jessica Anya Blau
Custom House - 2021
1

"Mrs. Cone showed me around the house.  I wanted to stop at every turn and examine the things that were stacked and heaped in places they didn't belong:  books teetering on a burner on the stove, a coffee cup on a shoebox in the entrance hall, a copper Buddha on the radiator, a pink blow up pool raft in the center of the living room.  I had just turned fourteen, it was 1975, and my ideas about homes, furniture, and cleanliness ran straight into me like an umbilical cord from my mother.  As Mrs. Cone used her bare foot (toenails painted a glittering red) to kick aside a stack of sweaters on the steps, I felt a jolt of wonder.  Did people really live like this?  I suppose I knew that they did somewhere in the world.  But I never expected to find a home like this in our neighborhood, Roland Park, which my mother claimed was the finest neighborhood in Baltimore."

What do you think - read more or pass?  I do like a good coming of age story and this seems to have potential.

33 comments:

  1. I'd keep reading. I can vividly picture everything she's describing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I love when the author has the ability to make that happen for us!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the intro appealed to you Laurel. I like the time period.

      Delete
  3. I read about this book yesterday - where was it? Anyway, I'm attracted to the '70's time period. 1975 - year I graduated high school. I think I must try it just for the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I have a copy of this book. Please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this book--hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting, I'd continue too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the way it began as well and hope to start it soon.

      Delete
  7. I actually know a person who lives pretty much like that. I might read further just in hopes of understanding how a person can live in such disorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a couple of chapters left. This was a delight!

      Delete
  8. I like the sound of that yes and the cover too! Go on reading and tell us more.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very descriptive opening. I like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriguing opening! I am curious about this book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a wonderful coming of age story thus far - almost done.

      Delete
  11. Definitely read on. I can't wait to see what you think. Quite promising.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like this one could be fun...maybe a coming-of-age novel? I'd definitely read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this one has been so enjoyable, just a couple more chapters.

      Delete
  13. Definitely read on. I like the kick ass Mrs. Cone already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's awesome and honestly, all of the characters are great!

      Delete
  14. This appeals to me. I love reading about this time period and if it's a coming of age story, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a little on the fence .... but I do like a coming of age story too .... and 1975 is a good year to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has been great fun; almost done - great characters too.

      Delete
  16. I was born in 1975, so I would probably read this one just for that fact! The junk piles are also interesting as I do find books about hoarding interesting. The books by the oven make me nervous, though - eek!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.