Tuesday, October 19, 2021

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Sentence; Louise Erdrich

Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews
Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book we are reading or plan to read soon.


The Sentence; Louise Erdrich
Harper - November 9, 2021

Time in Time Out

Earth to Earth

"While in prison, I received a dictionary. It was sent to me with a note.  This is the book I would take to a deserted island.  Other books were to arrive from my teacher.  But as she had known, this one proved of endless use.  The first word I looked up was the word 'sentence.'  I had received an impossible sentence of sixty years from the lips of a judge who believed in an afterlife.  So the word with its yawning c, with its hissing sibilants and double n's, this repetitive bummer of a word made of slyly stabbing letters that surrounded an isolate human t, this word was in my thoughts every moment of every day.  Without a doubt, had the dictionary not arrived, this light word that lay so heavily upon me would have crushed me, or what was left of me, after the strangeness of what I have done.

What do you think -- pass or read more?  I have enjoyed this author in the past so I'm looking forward to this one.    (I didn't read anything about this book but, from the intro I'm feeling like the person in prison is female. What do you think?)

36 comments:

  1. Intriguing and philosophical! yes I'd like to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I just love when I'm pulled into a story early on.

      Delete
  2. About time I try this author, and this book sounds great to me, thanks or featuring it.
    Here is my post: https://francebooktours.com/2021/10/19/double-identity-first-chapter-first-paragraph-book-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's quite an opening! Can't wait to hear what you think of the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those passages, makes me want to know what has happened and why.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy this author, and need to read more! Love the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'd read on too so I could find out what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Louise Erdrich...no doubt that I would keep reading this one and anything else of hers I get my hands on. She's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm fascinated. Erdrich is one of my favorite writers so I'll definitely get to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is wonderful as well and the beginning here has me even more curious.

      Delete
  8. That's different, I'd like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that intro was quite clever and made me want to know more.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, I've only read one book by Erdrich and didn't care for it, so I'll wait to hear your thoughts. Coincidentally, my book group is discussing her previous novel, The Night Watchman, which I didn't get around to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I'm surprised, I've love all I've read be her thus far. Curious which one your read?

      Delete
    2. It was Love Medicine and it was many, many years ago. Maybe I should give her another chance. I have La Rose and The Round House on my shelf...

      Delete
    3. I loved Round House, Plague of Doves and Shadow Tag; haven't tried Love Medicine.

      Delete
  10. That opening really makes you wonder. I'm going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this author but I like that beginning so I'd definitely give this one a try. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely. The first two sentences are enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great opening. Her books are a hit and miss with me but this I find intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read 4-5 and the ones I picked all worked well for me. Round House was especially good.

      Delete
  14. Oh as I was reading that intro I also thought it was a woman speaking. I've not read anything by this author. I'm curious about this one so look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd start it this weekend but I have to focus on my book group read for my Wednesday meeting first.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.