Thursday, May 26, 2022

Book Review - Klara and the Sun; Kazuo Ishiguro

 

Klara and the Sun; Kazuo Ishiguro
Random House Audio - 2021
(Sura Siu - narrator - very good)

Klara is an AF (artificial friend) who shines bright thanks to the sun.  She waits in a store until the time a special human will take her home.  Klara is an older model, there are fancier AFs with more bells and whistles it seems.  Klara is often stuck at the back of the store but, she loves those days she gets moved to the front window so she can enjoy the sun's warmth. Older models like Klara need lots of solar recharging.  

A young girl named Josie wants to take Klara home but, Josie's mother needs time to think about it.  Eventually Klara does become the AF to lonely Josie who doesn't seem to have any real friends except for neighbor boy Rick. Josie is schooled at home.  When Josie grow ill, we are never sure what is wrong with her,  her mother grows very concerned as she has already lost one daughter.   Klara is determined to comfort Josie and to find a way for her to get better and thrive.

I really enjoyed this thought provoking story and thought Klara,  as the narrator worked beautifully. She was such a keen observer and a caring friend to Josie.  It was easy to fall in love with this mechanical girl. 

The audio was delightful, well except for the numerous times that "Melania HouseKeeper" was spoken -- what was up with that??  Despite this minor annoyance, Klara and the Sun, is a real gem. Just the kind of story I needed. Don't miss it!

Rating - 4.5/5 stars

NOTE: Thanks go to Random House Audio for allowing me access to this download in exchange for my unbiased review.


26 comments:

  1. I've never read a book like this, your review makes me want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, a feel good story and audio is highly recommended too.

      Delete
  2. I have been meaning to read this book since it came out. It might be time to download the audio. Thanks for the heads up on the Melania Housekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Melania HouseKeeper"??? I don't know what that is and I don't think I want to know! I loved this book but I read the physical copy. I prefer seeing the words and having time to think about them and digest them to having someone speak them at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably didn't realize how many times "Melania Housekeeper" appeared it print but, it got a tad overused it seemed on audio.

      Delete
  4. Interesting sounding book. Ishiguro writes some intriguing, thoughtful stories, not that I've read many by him. Never Let Me Go was very thought provoking and I have The Buried Giant on my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a couple previously but this one really was unusual and enjoyable as well.

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to listen to this one... "Melania HouseKeeper" sounds a little strange though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His books are always a little cold and sterile and yet, they draw me in. I liked this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only heard good things about this book, and I really want to read it. Hopefully this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was crazy about Klara, too. I enjoyed this book so much...glad you did also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My book group is discussing this in July and while I have family visiting that week, I may try to duck out for an hour so I can attend the meeting. I've heard nothing but rave reviews and am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like audios and the audio is awesome. I'll be curious to hear what the group thought.

      Delete
  10. Sounds intriguing! I haven't read his books in a long while. Might pick this up should I feel the mood to read his books at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, it really was unusual yet heartwarming at times as well.

      Delete
  11. I loved the audio of this as well and thought narrator Sura Sia does a wonderful job. I was won over by Klara and her thoughts of trying to save Josie. I gave this novel of the year in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audio was excellent and I was happy I listened. Glad you loved it so much.

      Delete
  12. I have seen this book around but was never clear on what it was about and now I have a better sense. What an intriguing idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not something I would normally be drawn to but, so many bloggers loved it I wanted to try for myself - excellent.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.