What a way to end the month!
October has always been one of my favorite months of the year. 2011's October will be one that I will never forget. As I mentioned previously, we lost all power on Saturday evening until late Sunday evening (26 hours). I do feel guilty complaining about my cable and internet not being back more quickly than yesterday, when some of my coworkers are still without electricity after (6) days. Right now, we have power companies from all over the US helping to restore services. I saw trucks from DE, TN, NJ, IA around this week......we so appreciate the help.
The problem was the snow (about 9") was wet and heavy, and the leaves were still on the trees, and then we had high winds as well. The weight of all that just toppled trees and limbs everywhere, taking power lines down in the process. Live wires were everywhere, and streets closed off until they could be dealt with. The tree belts looks like a war zone all around. We lost my favorite tree, and although that made me sad, things could have been even worse. The weather that followed has been in the 50-60 degree range so most melted quickly. Thank goodness as had the temps been freezing, all those without heat would have had to deal with pipes bursting as well.
Reading by candlelight was actually fun, as was getting more rest by going to bed at 8PM. What wasn't fun was no warm beverages when the inside temps were in the high 50's. How was your October for reading?
I was pleased with my month for a few reasons: I reached (100) books read in 2011 in October, and I finished Carl's RIP VI Challenge, which I always love participating in. Here's an overview of my month:
- The House of Tomorrow; Peter Bognanni - 4/5 (eBook)
- Darkness, My Old Friend; Lisa Unger - 4/5 (audio)
- A Trick of the Light; Louise Penny - 4/5 (audio)
- Cold Spring Harbor; Richard Yates - 4.5/5
- The Days of Abandonment; Eleana Ferrante -4.5/5
- The Grief of Others; Leah Hager Cohen - 4/5 (review)
- The Leftovers; Tom Perrotta - 4/5 (audio book) (library)
- Favorite Fiction Books - Cold Spring Harbor and The Days of Abandonment (4.5/5 for both)
- Favorite Audio Book - The Leftovers; Tom Perrotta (4/5)
- New authors - 2/7- YTD - 62/100
- Review Books - 3/7 -YTD - 46/100
- 5 star books - 0/7 - YTD - 23/100
- 4 star books - 7/7- YTD - 65/100
- 3 star books - 0/7 - YTD - 8/100
- 2 star books - 0/7- YTD - 3/100
~~~~~ Challenge Progress ~~~~~
- 100+ Reading Challenge - 100/100 - COMPLETED
- Reading From My Shelves Project - 49/50
- Audio Book Challenge - 29/20 - COMPLETED
- eBook Challenge - 13/20
- Europa Challenge - 3/ ? Perpetual Challenge
- RIP VI Challenge - 5/4 - COMPLETED