Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Light Between Oceans; M.L. Stedman

Author:  M.L. Stedman
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Scribner
Edition: eGalley
Setting: Australia
Source: NetGalley
Date Completed: December/2012
Rating: 4.5/5 
Recommend: yes

I've read many positive reviews on this debut novel, and final got a chance to experience it for myself -- I must say, I also enjoyed it a lot. It's the kind of story that engages the reader early on and doesn't disappoint.

On an isolated island off the coast of Australia, Tom Sherbourne takes a job as the lighthouse keeper after he returns from the from war in 1918.  For Tom, the solitude on the island is just what he craves after seeing the horrors of war.  The only time he sees other people is every (3) months when supplies are delivered from the mainland.  When he meets and marries Isabel (Izzy), the two return to the island and life seems happy and less lonely for Tom.  Disappointments soon face the couple as Izzy suffers several miscarriages and desperately longs for a baby of their own.

One day in 1926, a boat washes up on shore with a dead man on board.  A crying baby is found nearby. Who is the dead man and, where is the baby's mother?  Could this mysterious baby be the answer to the couple's prayers, or will a decision of the heart lead to more sadness in their lives?

The Light Between Oceans was such a compelling read. Written in (3) parts with Tom as the main character, although the reader gets to know Izzy and other characters through their POV as well. The story will have readers quickly invested in the story and anxious to learn the outcome.  It's one of the books that will have readers talking about the book to others. It's also the type of book that would seem to make for a good movie as well.

14 comments:

  1. I have this one checked out now for the second time. I really need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really thought provoking. I wonder if I could get my book club to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has been really popular at the bookstore, and your review helps me understand why. sounds like a good book club choice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just started listening to it on audio and know I will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one has been waiting for me to pick it up. I've had it forever but got wrapped up with tour commitments. So glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep thinking this is one I should read, but everytime I look at it, I get distracted by something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That one really sounds interesting and I like that it catches you early on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet another hot book I am dying to read! I'm so jealous - I never seem to get to the recent releases. I will have a chance to read this one soon, though - my neighborhood book group chose it for our January selection. I can't wait! I put myself on the library waiting list - only 150 people ahead of me! ha ha Definitely a popular one. I look forward to diving into it in the new year.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a really good book club book. I may have to suggest it for mine this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy that you enjoyed this one too!!! I think it would make for an amazing movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had the ARC of this for a long time and need to move it up in my stacks! My 2013 TBR stack is growing/groaning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom loved this one and did a guest review for me. I really do need to get this one from her - clearly she's not alone in her opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished this one this morning and it's been bouncing around in my head all day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got this one for Christmas and really want to read it. You make it sound so good! Great review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.