Thursday, April 17, 2014

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You - The Arsonist; Sue Miller

Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for today. I thought this one sounded like a good one. Do you like the sound of it?

The Arsonist; Sue Miller
Knopf / Doubleday - June 2014

Overview

From the best-selling author of While I Was Gone and The Senator's Wife, a superb new novel about a family and a community tested when an arsonist begins setting fires to the homes of the summer people in a small New England town. 
 
After decades of summering in Pomeroy, New Hampshire, Sylvia Rowley has decided to retire to the house she loves with her brilliant but increasingly scattered husband, Alfie, until now a professor at the local college. Her son, Clark, is renovating a small house on their property. Her daughter Frankie, who lives and works in Africa, returns home for her first extended visit in years and begins an unexpected romance with the editor of the local newspaper, himself newly arrived and hoping to save it. Over the course of two summer months, class and social fault lines are exposed, and the simmering question of who owns the land and the town is brought to a boil as fires continue to rage through Pomeroy's homes and the arsonist remains at large.   

Suspenseful, sophisticated, rich in psychological nuance and emotional insight, The Arsonist is vintage Sue Miller—a finely wrought novel about belonging and community, possibility and finitude, and the question of how and where to live, what it means to lead a fulfilling life. One of our most elegant and engrossing novelists at her inimitable best.

9 comments:

  1. I think I'll add this title to my list - sounds good, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good! Will add it to my library list for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already have this on my wishlist. I have read almost all of Sue Miller's books starting with The Good Mother years and years ago. Thanks for reminding me that this is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have pre-ordered it! I love Sue Miller...and this one sounds especially good. Like Rita, one of my favorites of hers was The Good Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds worth waiting for. Thanks for the preview, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds terrific. Can't wait to see what you think of it

    ReplyDelete
  7. The novel seems to tackle a lot of timely and interesting questions. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to reading this one. I loved The Senator's Wife and While You Were Gone. I think she had another book which was her most recent title before 2014's new book. I couldn't get into it.
    Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.