Tuesday, May 6, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros -- You Should Have Know; Jean Hanff Korelitz

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? Today's pick---

 You Should Have Known; Jean Hanff Korelitz
Grand Central Publishing

Chapter One -- You Just Know

"Usually people cried when they came here for the first time, and this girl looked as if she'd be no exception.  She walked in with a briefcase and a swagger, and shook Grace's hand like the cool professional she certainly was, or at least wished to be.  Then she sat on the couch and crossed one long twill-encased leg over the other.  And then, sort of abruptly, she seemed to register where she was, with a wallop.

"Oh wow," said the girl, whose name -- Grace had double-checked a few minutes earlier--was Rebecca Wynne.  "I haven't been in a therapist's office since college."
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below ----

22 comments:

  1. I like it, Diane. I'm not sure but I think I detect some humorous undercurrents? I keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book...and I like this intro. Must read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The intro didn't really grab me, but I'm reading this now -- about halfway in and it's really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would read on. I like crisp tone of the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the tone of the intro. I would go on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would read at least a bit more. I want to know why Grace is there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book around a lot - I'll be interested to hear what you think. It's not at the top of my list as of now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This could be good. I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I like how calm and distant the narrator sounds, if he/she's the therapist! But it sounds like Rebecca has some issues! Thanks for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely be keen to read on after this opening, lots of intrigue and already I feel I want to know more about the characters here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I would keep reading. I have this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would keep reading! I will watch for your review too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true that people often cry in therapists' offices. Wonder where this is going? Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard good things about this book, but the intro really doesn't do it for me. I can't wait to see what you think when you are done! And thanks for hosting First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes me interested in finding out what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm hooked--I need to know more. Great beginning. Thanks so much for stopping by today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  17. From the intro, I definitely want to continue. I'm curious to know more about Rebecca Wynne and what she will tell Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't heard about this book, but it does sound very interesting, and good writing as well. My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm wondering how she missed getting there?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. She's there for some reason...got to know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm curious why she is in the therapist's office so yes, I think I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.