Tuesday, May 20, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~Tuesday Intros; Mambo in Chinatown; Jean Kwok

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?
 
 Mambo in Chinatown; Jean Kwok
Riverhead Books - June 2014

"My name is Charlie Wong and I'm the daughter of a dancer and a noodle-maker.  My mother was a star ballerina at the famed Beijing Dance Academy before she ran off to marry my father, the handsomest noodle-maker in Beijing--or at least that's what she always called him before he died.  Hand in hand, they escaped to America to start their family.  Unfortunately, my mother's genes seemed to miss me altogether.  I took after Pa, minus the good-looking part.  And minus the manual dexterity as well: he never managed to pass his considerable noodle-making skills on to me, much as he tried.  So at twenty-two year's old I was instead working as a dishwasher at a restaurant in New York's Chinatown.  Pa was their noodle-master.  Customers lined up at the back door to purchase packages of his uncooked noodles to take home."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below ----



26 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but I'm now very curious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking out for books based on Chinese culture. I will check it out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title and the premise...hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I would continue. Family stories my cup of tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already like Charlie Wong. I'd like to read this one. Hope its as good as it's beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting! I still want to read Girl in Translation. It's waiting for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good one. I would keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that opening and the cover, too! Would like to know more about this book - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally linked to last week's post first... you can remove the first of the two links. Sorry :(

      Delete
  9. I really liked the intro - kind of quirky! I'd like to find out a bit more about the plot summary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the intro and would keep reading. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the cover and this definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy! Thanks for hosting and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard good things about Girl in Translation, but never got around to reading it. I would keep reading, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading. Sometimes our past shapes us and sometimes it releases us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a book I've had my eye on, and would definitely keep reading.
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very intrigued by the introduction and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no, sounds like she's in for a hard time. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would definitely keep reading, sounds like a very interesting book. Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I probably wouldn't continue...unless I was hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. a bit confused by the first statement 'before he died' then her Pa being the customers' noodlemaker..
    great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love books like this. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the opening. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd definitely keep reading - Charlie seems like a very likeable character and has a good "voice." I hope the rest of the book is as interesting as that first paragraph!

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like my kind of book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.