Tuesday, May 20, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~Tuesday Intros; Mambo in Chinatown; Jean Kwok

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?
 
 Mambo in Chinatown; Jean Kwok
Riverhead Books - June 2014

"My name is Charlie Wong and I'm the daughter of a dancer and a noodle-maker.  My mother was a star ballerina at the famed Beijing Dance Academy before she ran off to marry my father, the handsomest noodle-maker in Beijing--or at least that's what she always called him before he died.  Hand in hand, they escaped to America to start their family.  Unfortunately, my mother's genes seemed to miss me altogether.  I took after Pa, minus the good-looking part.  And minus the manual dexterity as well: he never managed to pass his considerable noodle-making skills on to me, much as he tried.  So at twenty-two year's old I was instead working as a dishwasher at a restaurant in New York's Chinatown.  Pa was their noodle-master.  Customers lined up at the back door to purchase packages of his uncooked noodles to take home."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below ----



26 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but I'm now very curious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking out for books based on Chinese culture. I will check it out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title and the premise...hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I would continue. Family stories my cup of tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already like Charlie Wong. I'd like to read this one. Hope its as good as it's beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting! I still want to read Girl in Translation. It's waiting for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good one. I would keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that opening and the cover, too! Would like to know more about this book - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally linked to last week's post first... you can remove the first of the two links. Sorry :(

      Delete
  9. I really liked the intro - kind of quirky! I'd like to find out a bit more about the plot summary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the intro and would keep reading. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the cover and this definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy! Thanks for hosting and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard good things about Girl in Translation, but never got around to reading it. I would keep reading, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading. Sometimes our past shapes us and sometimes it releases us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a book I've had my eye on, and would definitely keep reading.
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very intrigued by the introduction and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no, sounds like she's in for a hard time. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would definitely keep reading, sounds like a very interesting book. Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I probably wouldn't continue...unless I was hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. a bit confused by the first statement 'before he died' then her Pa being the customers' noodlemaker..
    great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love books like this. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the opening. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd definitely keep reading - Charlie seems like a very likeable character and has a good "voice." I hope the rest of the book is as interesting as that first paragraph!

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like my kind of book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)