Thursday, August 21, 2014

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You - The Book of Strange New Things; Michel Faber

Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for this week.  What do you think -- would you try it?

Crown-Hogarth - October 2014

 Description

A monumental, genre-defying novel over ten years in the making, Michel Faber’s The Book of Strange New Things is a masterwork from a writer in full command of his many talents.

It begins with Peter, a devoted man of faith, as he is called to the mission of a lifetime, one that takes him galaxies away from his wife, Bea. Peter becomes immersed in the mysteries of an astonishing new environment, overseen by an enigmatic corporation known only as USIC.   His work introduces him to a seemingly friendly native population struggling with a dangerous illness and hungry for Peter’s teachings—his Bible is their “book of strange new things.” But Peter is rattled when Bea’s letters from home become increasingly desperate: typhoons and earthquakes are devastating whole countries, and governments are crumbling.  Bea’s faith, once the guiding light of their lives, begins to falter.

Suddenly, a separation measured by an otherworldly distance, and defined both by one newly discovered world and another in a state of collapse, is threatened by an ever-widening gulf that is much less quantifiable.  While Peter is reconciling the needs of his congregation with the desires of his strange employer, Bea is struggling for survival.  Their trials lay bare a profound meditation on faith, love tested beyond endurance, and our responsibility to those closest to us.

Marked by the same bravura storytelling and precise language that made The Crimson Petal and the White such an international success, The Book of Strange New Things is extraordinary, mesmerizing, and replete with emotional complexity and genuine pathos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was first introduced to this author's work some 10 years ago when I read, Crimson Petal and the White (2003) which I loved.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds a little too sci-fi for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a unique premise. Not sure if I would read it but I will certainly check it out further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound interesting and we thing we might like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would enjoy this one, thanks Diane :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting premise, though probably too sci-fi(ish) for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the sample in Buzz Books and was intrigued, but it went onto my "maybe" list. It does seem like an odd story, but I'm curious as to what will happen. Mostly I will have to be in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.