Tuesday, March 31, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~ Eileen; Ottessa Moshfegh

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.


Eileen; Ottessa Moshfegh
Penguin Press - 2015

EILEEN
1964

"I looked like a girl you'd expect to see on a city bus, reading some clothbound book from the library about plants or geography, perhaps wearing a net over my light brown hair.  You might take me for a nursing student or a typist, note the nervous hands, a foot tapping, bitten lip. I looked like nothing special.  It's easy for mr to imagine this girl, a strange, young and mousy version of me, carrying an annonymous leather purse, or eating from a small package of peanuts, rolling each one between her gloved fingers, sucking her cheeks, staring anxiously out the window.  The sunlight in the morning illuminated the thin down on my face, which I tried to cover with pressed powder, a shade too pink for mywan complexion.  I was thin, my figure was jagged, my movements pointy and hesitant, my posture stiff.  The terrain of my face was heavy with soft, rambling acne scars blurring whatever delight or madness lay beneath that cold and deadly New England exterior.  If I'd worn glasses I could have passed for smart, but I was too impatient to be truly smart.  You'd have to expect me to enjoy the stillness of closed rooms, take comfort in dull silence, and gaze moving slowly across paper, walls, heavy curtains, thoughts never shifting from what my eyes identified--book, desk, tree, person.  But I deplored silence. I deplored stillness.  I hated almost everything. I was very unhappy and angry all the time.  I tried to control myself, and that only made me more awkward, unhappier, and angrier.  I was like Joan of Arc, or Hamlet, but born into the wrong life of a nobody, a waif, invisible.  There's no better way to say it: I was not myself back then.  I was someone else. I was Eileen."

What do you think, would you keep reading?

Feel free to join in by linking your post sharing the first paragraph of the book you are reading or planning to read soon. Link Below.


25 comments:

  1. Oh, I wonder why she is so unhappy? I feel sorry for her and want to know more about what has gone wrong for her.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to know more about Eileen and why she is so unhappy. I love the narrative voice and would definitely keep reading. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this one, Diane, when you finishe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the first person narration and can't wait to learn more about Eileen.

      Delete
  3. I love that beginning, I definitely want to know more about Eileen. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo. I haven't started it but guessing Eileen has some serious issues.

      Delete
  4. It's well written but it doesn't really grab me. Hope you enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not for everyone - readers are so very different.

      Delete
  5. I'm in Suzie's camp: I found the opening descriptive and nicely written, but it didn't call to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such a fascinating intro! I am curious to find out more about Eileen now, so I will be looking up this book on Goodreads right now! Thanks for introducing it to me and for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this one...I like the writing and I'm curious about what's going on with her. I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I'd want to read it, but I am curious about Eileen or whoever. The vintage details are interesting - a net on the hair, pressed powder, a typist (when did a typist get vintage - I must be getting old!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last three sentences of that long, long paragraph hooked me. I'd keep reading to find out more about Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the cover of the book. The intro didn't really grab me until the last. Now, I want to know what she means about how she was Eileen. I'd keep reading! Also, I like your spring colors on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The description and the imaginings would keep me reading. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would keep reading to see what was making her so sad, and to see if she was ever happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd keep reading. I'm already sympathetic to this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely an intriguing beginning. I would keep reading for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's definitely in touch with her real self. I would like to know more about Eileen. I would find it impossible to stop reading.

    I love your different colored Adirondack chairs. Soooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The description was lovely but went on a little bit too long for me. But I'd probably keep reading anyhow!
    LOVE those rocking chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who's Eileen? I'd read more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That first paragraph was way too long, I didn't make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to know more about Eileen! Wondering if this is like Sybil...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.