Tuesday, November 17, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Family Tree; Barbara Delinsky


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. This week's selection is a book club selection - haven't started it yet, but it looks like it might be a good discussion book for (15) women.

Family Tree; Barbara Delinsky
Doubleday - 2007

Chapter 1


"Something woke her mid-dream.  She didn't know if it was the baby kicking, a gust of sea air tumbling over the sill, surf breaking on the rocks, or even her mother's voice, liquid in the waves, but as she lay there open-eyed in bed in the dark, the dream remained vivid.  It was an old dream, and no less embarrassing to her for knowing the script.  She was out in public, for all the world to see, lacking a vital piece of clothing.  In this instance, it was her blouse.  She had left home without it and now stood on the steps of her high school--her high school--wearing only a bra, and an old one at that.  It didn't matter that she was sixteen years past graduation and knew none of the people on the steps.  She was exposed and thoroughly mortified.  And then--this was a first--there was her mother-in-law, standing off to the side, wearing a look of dismay and carrying--bizarre--the blouse."


What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?



45 comments:

  1. I loved this book...and I have it around on one of my shelves...now I want to reread it!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, this is so great to here. I've only read a few books by this author (years ago), but I do recall enjoying them. Now I'm anxious to begin.

      Delete
  2. Now there's a dream to analyze! At least she was wearing a bra, poor dear. I haven't heard much about this book, but I like the opening (I've had some embarrassing dream moments that included my in-laws too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sense some mother-in-law issues. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems more like a nightmare than a dream. But, it sounds like a fun read. I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally embarrassing. What does the mother-in-law say?? Can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! That's a nightmare. And, yeah, doesn't help that her MIL doesn't seem to be sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about this one - dream stuff usually isn't my cup of tea (and my current book has a lot in it as well, which is bugging me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dream things are generally also not me so I am on the fence with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how some of us readers dislike dreams in fictions and others don't care (I am in the I don't care camp).

      Delete
  9. I've read Barbara Delinsky in the past and enjoyed it. I would continue with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might keep reading. Contemporary fiction is not usually my choice, but the description of the dream is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been interested in trying something by this author. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh God, that sounds horrendous! I've thankfully never had a dream like that but adding a mother-in-law to the mix makes it all the worse! Thanks for hosting :) I hope you have a great week!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tend to have a problem with dreams in books and so I question the wisdom of commencing a book with them. On the other hand, it does provide a lot of info about the narrator in a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind dreams in books, and thought it was a good hook.

      Delete
  14. I'm not sure I would like that one, but I might. It is a well written intro!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes I like the opening, an opening that makes you wonder what that dream means!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Her MIL might be more of a scary woman than mine! I'm doing <a href="http://backporchervations.blogspot.com/2015/11/fcfpteaser-tuesday-pale-highway-by.html>Pale Highway<a/>.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds good. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read it and enjoyed it a few years ago--Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A little late today! I read this and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I started this book and never went back to it. I'll have to give it another go. I've missed this game and hopefully I'll feel well enough to play along soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.