Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories; Audrey Niffenegger

Ghostly; Audrey Niffenegger
2015- Scribner

Ghostly, was a pleasant surprise, an awesome collection of short ghost stories. Each story can be completed in a short sitting, preferably by a nice warm fire or glowing candle with something warm to drink. 

Each story begins with a small intro and illustrations, and each selection has a specific theme as well: loss, cats, houses, children and unrequited love -- things and places that are often thought of as being haunted.  All are about death in some way.

I enjoyed almost every story in this collection. My absolute favorite was one written by the author: "Secret Life With Cats", which I found to be very personal and moving as well. The story of a lonely marriage, volunteer time at a cat shelter, an elderly woman who disappears and a new life. Other stories that I thought were great were: "A Black Cat," Edgar Allan Poe: a creepy mean man and a cat who get's revenge on him. Edith Whaton's, "Pomaganate Seed," was very good, as was "Tiny Ghosts"; Amy Giacalone, which was a ghost story that made me laugh, and "The Pink House"; Rebecca Curtis, which was deliciously creepy. "Honeysuckle Cottage" by P.D. Wodehouse was also very good as was "Click Clack the Rattlebag "by Neil Gaiman. One story felt seriously date, "They"; Rudyard Kipling.

It doesn't matter if you believe in ghosts or not to enjoy this collection, and I doubt that reading any of these stories will cause you to wake from sleep screaming either. The illustrations are lovely, and honestly, this may be a book that I'll have to buy and reread each October, I enjoyed it that much.

4.5/5 stars
(eGalley)

15 comments:

  1. I am so glad you loved this one! I love a good ghost story and add cats in the mix, and I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a winner... and I love the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of ghost stories buy you've made this collection sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so big on ghost stories, but I do like Niffenegger, sooooo maybe I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it with cats and ghosts? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear this collection works! I'm starting it this week, and it has so many favorite authors, I figured I could not go wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We like the spooky sounds of this one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.