Tuesday, January 17, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Leisure Seeker; Michael Zadoorian



Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon.  

This week's book has been on my shelf since 2009. It's a soon to be a movie (2017) starring Donald Sutherland and Helen Mirren. The story is about an elderly couple seeking one last adventure.


The Leisure Seeker; Michael Zadoorian
William Morrow - 2009

One

MICHIGAN

"We are tourists.

I've recently come to terms with this.  My husband and I were never the kind who traveled to expand our minds. We traveled to have fun--Weeki Wachee, Gatlinburg, South of the Border, Lake George, Rock City, Wall Drug.  We have seen swimming pigs and horses, a Russian Palace covered with corn, young girls underwater drinking Pepsi-Cola from the seven-ounce bottle, London Bridge in the middle of a desert, a cycling cockatoo riding a tightrope."

Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?

Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.





41 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a fun book...and movie, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it yesterday and just loved it. Not many books with senior aged characters these days.

      Delete
  2. I'm not so convinced by this opening, I'd need to read a little bit further I think

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great book cover for the winter reader. It makes me want to take to the open road. The first paragraph reinforces that thought. Yes, I want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my kind of retirement. Not sure it's my type of book but it sounds like fun so I'm kind of half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a book -- and movie -- that I'll enjoy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it could be fun! Even if I don't get to the book, I'll be sure to look for the movie -- love Helen Mirren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This beginning doesn't tempt me, but as one half of an 'elderly couple' I shall have to go and see the movie!
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was an interesting, thought provoking book. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the listing of all the different 'attractions' and recognized some of them. There used to be diving pigs here in our area. Not sure if there still are. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about the book, but the movie is appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would continue reading... This sounds like it could be a fun story, in both book and film format. I'd be intrigued to hear more about this book from you. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a totally fun read.. would continue reading it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always up for a road trip whether IRL or in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a good book and, given the stars, a good movie as well. Great to see someone recommending a humorous book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like such an interesting read! I think I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would keep reading. With all that this couple has already done, I'm interested to see what this one last adventure of theirs will be!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not sure I would read more, but the movie will probably be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd read more! It sounds like a fun book (and movie-to-be), even though I don't like to be too "touristy" when I travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I would totally read this. I love travelogues and even though it's fiction I think this seems like it would be fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a hoot--book and movie! Love to travel, love being a tourist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.