Saturday, January 14, 2017

Books Read - Week in Review - W/E - 1/14/2017

This has been a somewhat lazy week for me and, I only read (1) book but, it was a good one.  I did watch (2) movies : Love the Coopers (2015), Diane Keaton, John Goodman and Steve Martin but, although parts were fun, I didn't love it .  I also watched, Postcards From the Edge (1990): Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine which I'd seen before and enjoyed.  We also O.D'd on Sopranos episodes, Season 3.  

I did get out to yoga class 3x and, I also caught up with (2) high school friends for lunch - always fun to catch up and chat about past and present.

Book Read

On Turpentine Lane; Elinor Lipman
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - 2017

1.
What Possessed Me?

"IF I HADN'T BEEN NAIVE and recklessly trusting, would I ever have purchased number 10 Turpentine Lane, a chronic headache masquerading as a charming bungalow?  'Best value in town,' said the ad, which was true, if judging by the price tag alone.  I paid almost nothing by today's standards, attributing the bargain to my mother's hunch that the previous owner had succumbed while in residence.  Not so off-putting, I rationalized; don't most people die at home?  On moving day my next-door neighbor brought me a welcome loaf of banana bread along with the truth about my seller. A suicide attempt...sleeping pills...she's saved them up till she had enough, poor thing. And who could blame her? 'Strong as an ox,' she added. 'But a whole bottle?' She tapped the side of her head."

(My Thoughts) I've enjoyed many of Elinor Lipman's earlier novels, The Inn at Lake Devine, was an all time favorite, but, I must say, On Turpentine Lane, runs a close second -- such a fun read.  Our protagonist, Faith Frankel has a so-so job in the Development Department of a private day school that she had attended.  Her boyfriend Stuart, is a loser who has taken advantage of her and is now off on a cross country walk to find himself.  Before leaving he gives Faith a piece of red-string (a symbol of his commitment to her). He also asks for her credit card to help with expenses. Meanwhile, Faith has purchased a rock bottom priced 2-bedroom - 1 - bath, bungalow, "On Turpentine Lane", unaware of the houses history and that the police will soon be knocking on her door.  life is interesting for Faith; she has a charming new office mate named Nick, a meddling mother, a father who is having a mid-life crisis,  a bachelor brother and added to the mix are a few other quirky characters that together make this story shine. Lipman's sharp dialogue and insight into the human psyche made this novel such a treat. (4.5 stars - be sure to try it)

Have a Great Weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fantastic week. I hope next week is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, actually, some days I just felt very lazy this week LOL

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed a few of Elinor Lipman's books... adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun that you live close enough to high school friends to meet up with them. I'm sad to say I'm only in contact with 2 friends from high school.

    On Turpentine Lane is new to me but it sure does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't always like that, we reconnected in 2009, but it is fun to chat about old times and new.

      Delete
  4. I have meant to read THE INN AT LAKE DEVINE for years. Maybe you are the one who talked about it. Think I might have a copy here somewhere. ON TURPENTINE LANE sounds good, though getting a red string as a trade for your credit card seems not quite even. LOL

    Yoga 3 times - wow. I did walk 5 days this week and was glad I did. I'm going to try to go back to yoga either this week or next. Feel pretty creaky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, THE INN AT LAKE DEVINE was terrific (read it twice, something I never do). I was the one who raved about it I'm sure LOL

      I do enjoy yoga and makes me feel good as well.

      Delete
  5. That book sounds pretty good and so did the lazy time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover of On Turpentine Lane is great - going to check into that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read The Inn at Lake Devine many, many years ago and thought it was wonderful.

    Wish I had your energy right about now. My husband and I have been sick since Thursday and I have a feeling I won't get out of my p.j.s all weekend. On top of that, we have an ice storm headed our way tomorrow. Glad we have a stocked pantry & refrigerator. Fingers crossed we don't lose power, though!

    Have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Les, so sorry you two have been down and out. I felt like I've been fighting something but so far so good. Get better soon.

      Delete
  8. Diane, I enjoyed your week in review post. I'd like to read a book by Elinor Lipman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are having a great weekend Diane! This is a book for my list. I've enjoyed several of Lipman's books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost always love Diane Keaton's movies, but I wasn't a fan of Love the Coopers, either. I don't know why exactly...but anyway, Postcards from the Edge always wins with me.

    I am also eager to read On Turpentine Lane. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say you had a great week full of good stuff; no wonder you only read 1 book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just telling Kathy that I love this new feature/format of hers and I have to say the same thing to you as well! I still need to get my blog back in order but probably not until next week. Things will likely quiet down by then. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.